Rohloff 500/14 QR Questions / wheel build

Spankyfart

Marin Fan
I came across a wheelset with (I think) an early Rohloff hub.
They are 32H with an M760 black XT hub and shot Mavic XC 717 rims.

So I need new rims for Magura rim brakes, I do like the late 90's Mavic as they are built wider and the walls seem to be stronger.
I'm not opposed to use new rims like the Ryde Andra 40 if nothing pops up.
As for front hub, the M760 is just not it, I have one in silver but I'd like something stainless or chromed and maybe even a bit bulky to match the Rohloff.
Budget; (NOS or hardly used) rims + front hub €0 - €150, depending idea's / offerings I can stretch that a little as I also need new spokes assuming the front hub is higher or lower then the XT hub.

What would you build it with, the wheels are for an early 90's MTB/ daily driver.
Would appreciate some idea's on the matter.

rohloff 500 14 qr.jpg

mavic D521's, beefy, industrial looking, wide, long lasting brake track. GT hub on the front. Oh hang on a minute I think I might have one in the shed....

Those look nice and "fat" I assume late 90's as well?
Problem is getting "old"rims with no wear, I do have a pair 117 ceramics 32 hole which are barely used but they are laced to Machine tech hubs with stainless steel spokes. Would be silly to take those apart and I feel the 117's are just to small for my liking.

Was thinking the WI front hub, I somehow have a soft spot for the brand. Or a nice Hope one where the rear one always cracks, must be loads of single front hubs lying about. Don't know what type they are though.
Also saw this Surly, a new hub online which looks really good.
Has a Surly pricetag, but the g/f is going to the states so it will be a lot cheaper there.

surly-new-front-hub-copy-194737-11.jpg

I bought an Overbury's that was clearly fitted out for durability and reliability, the chosen rims are Mavic Module 4's, which I later learned were made specifically for off-road tandems and tourers. Mine are 700c but perhaps Mavic made a 26'' variant.

Overkill perhaps, they were certainly built to withstand extreme punishment, and not stupidly heavy, I use that bike for winter commuting and it feels suitably indestructible.

If you can't find any I'm sure other rim makers made similar models for the same purposes.

Just sold some module 4's on DX 700c, they came from a Miyata World Traveller.
They were standard wheel for the top en of the Miyata tourers I don't think they came in 26" but yeah they are built to last, too bad the rivets were "just" steel and they rust.

I looked at the SON hubs, they have a dynamo in them that I don't need.
Also they cost €250,- like the Wood hubs, so that's not going to happen I'm afraid.
They were all choices I'd looked at I just cannot justify the money.

Was going to recommend the Phil Wood - love the rear one I have on my Singlespeed...but the prices these days are eyewatering.
BUT, here they are £90!
Or a Campag Centaur road hub:
Failing that, how about a Hope Mono RS?

As for strong rims, have a look at Spa Cycles: Rigida / Ryde Sputnik or Grizzly - the touring choice, far better than Mavic with thicker sidewalls.

Last edited:
PW one is really nice, it's €120,- inc postage which is something I'd consider.
Although a White Industries from the mid 90's is as nice imo and probably a more cheaper option seeing these came on higher end Marins paired with an LX rear. So I assume there are some lonely front hubs in a spares box somewhere.

These are the Ryde rims I'm looking at if I can't find anything else.
Laced these on my g/f's bike on silver M750 hubs and they are built like a tank.

If this is the going price for rims that were €30,- bitd It's more likely the Ryde ones are chosen.

I run a Rohloff on a couple of bikes. One set (older Dt Hügi front) laced to Exal SP19 ceramic rims, and the other set (SON dynamo front) laced to Mavic XM719. They are both great wheelsets and have been true and trouble-free for a while now, but Exal rims are simply bombproof and were £40 for the pair 10 years ago, so I guess they’re my favourites. Perfect for Magura rim brakes with their wide brake tracks.
I think you can still find them on sale at Spa Cycles et al.
Whatever rims you decide to go with, what I think makes the biggest difference is using triple butted spokes (I use DT Swiss Alpine III) !

Happy cycling

I run a Rohloff on a couple of bikes. One set (older Dt Hügi front) laced to Exal SP19 ceramic rims, and the other set (SON dynamo front) laced to Mavic XM719. They are both great wheelsets and have been true and trouble-free for a while now, but Exal rims are simply bombproof and were £40 for the pair 10 years ago, so I guess they’re my favourites. Perfect for Magura rim brakes with their wide brake tracks.
I'm going to run Maxxis DTH 2.30 so it's "wise" to run them on 22mm inner rims, I run them on 17mm inners now but that's a pub/grocery bike so they aren't getting stressed as much.
The Rohloff goes on an E-bike conversion, forgot to mention that little important fact. Ooops. :cool:

Back