Tyre clearance on a Raleigh Dyna Tech?

Retroboy

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Does anyone know or can easily measure the maximum tyre width on a 1991 Raleigh Encounter?

I've had it in storage for the past 4 years so I'm not expecting the existing tyres & tubes to be all that great and would like to put some fat slicks on there for the time being (don't judge me ok!) for road use. My storage unit is 40 miles away so I can't just nip down there and check so it would be useful to know so I can get some tyres ordered for when I pick it up.

Thanks all.

Re:

I'm curious, as to why you are going with 'fat slicks' for road tires when the fat size simply adds rolling resistance to your ride. Why not go with slicks that are as thin as feasible, to make your commute/ride as effort-free as possible (unless, of course, its merely an aesthetic thing for you)?

:?:

I'm going to be living and working in Bangkok for a bit and don't need anything particularly fast and a bit of cushioning would be nice.

So is the song true, then ... does "one night in Bangkok make a strong man humble" ... ?

ps: I have no idea about tire clearance for that frame, tho - sorry.

I think I've got 1.9 tyres on my 93 torus. There's room for more, especially as you won't need to worry about mud build up.

I like the look of Maxxis Hookworms but wonder if 2.5" will be too much. As they're slick without any blocks adding to the width I was hoping they might just fit or does tyre sizing not work like that?

I'll just be pootling around leading backpackers on city tours so speed (or lack of!) won't be an issue.

I just looked up the Maxxis Hookworms and saw the weight of them :shock:

I can understand that being less of a concern for your intended use though.

Retroboy":3odyv91v said:
I like the look of Maxxis Hookworms but wonder if 2.5" will be too much. As they're slick without any blocks adding to the width I was hoping they might just fit or does tyre sizing not work like that?

I'll just be pootling around leading backpackers on city tours so speed (or lack of!) won't be an issue.

You can't rely on the size as to width, it can vary considerably.
But Maxxis do put the size in small writing on the side, there will
be a little cross section outline of a tyre and the width in mm. I have a bike next to me with 2.1"
HighRollers, according to the side of the tyre they are 47mm wide; they are really 47.35mm wide.

But I doubt your going to shoe horn a 2.5" in your bike.

Back