Frame lacquering

TrevorKershaw

Retro Guru
I am considering lacquering my polished frame. To do it professionally will cost more that I can justify at present and the nearest place to get it done is 35+ miles away.
I have seen a couple of articles on You Tube, particularly one by “Thebikezoneuk” who got a decent “ritchey” effect on a Harry Hall road bike, which didn’t look too difficult. The key appears to be patient and to follow the instructions on the tin. That said, trying to achieve a half decent, or even a professional finish is another thing. I am thinking of using an aerosol lacquer rather than buying a spray gun. (Incidentally, could an artist’s airbrush be used?)
Has anyone tried lacquering themselves, or even the bike. :LOL:
Does anyone know a good brand of lacquer to use? I have looked at Halfords own and Simoniz Clear Acrylic Lacquer and the latter seems to be the better bet. Are there any better ones out there?
Any thoughts you have would be very useful.

I've always been lead to believe that lacquering polished alloy dulls the shine. I've mirror polished some wheels on my vw van and not lacquered them because of this. Maybe other people have done it and had good results?

I've lacquered a few car wheels in my time too. It's fairly straight forward as long as you take your time and try not to rush it.
Always work in long strokes with the can about 20cm away from the frame, and always spray past the item you are spraying.
The best way I found to do it was to build up light coats of lacquer, about 3 to 4 allow about 15 mins drying time between coats.
What can happen if you lay it on to thick is lacquer sagg and it doesn't look nice and you will end up having to sand it off.

Once the lacquer has fully cured after about a week you can flat it back with 2000 grade wet and dry paper (use plenty of water) this will dull the lacquer and remove any dust particles and imperfections, go carefully as to not go through to the paint, then polish it up with a decent polish I normally use autoglym super resin, and you will get a very nice deep shine to it.
As far as paints go I've used halfords own brand a few times with great results, I've also used paints from a local paint supplier and these seem to be slightly better.
Hope this helps you out a bit pal.

Back