Dablk's Cotic SodaMax

dablk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Dablk's Cotic Soul.
In 2007 I bought a brand new Cotic Soul. I have always regarded this as my first "proper" MTB. Proper as in I had to build and spec the whole thing. And this was my stalwart while I dabbled with retro on the side. It went thru several variations. Even ending up with a tag along built onto it.

cotic1.jpg

Dablk's Cotic SolarisMax
In Feb 2020 I fell upon a complete SolarisMax on eBay. It felt like the time to semi retire the Soul. I didn't win it.. well not at first. A 2nd chance offer dropped and allowed me to get a better deal for both parties away from eBay. That bike would turn out to be no only be a complete bargain but also a source of many happy memories after what happened 1 month later.

SolarisMax.JPG

Still it got used less and less after lockdown as the big and bouncy took over once we could travel again. Space was needed, as were funds. So it was parted out. The frame however never sold. Partly as I didn't try as I was half thinking of keeping it for a wall hanger as it had such good memories.

Nov 2023. I was building my SolarisMax back up as now had enough nice spares to do it. Still thinking of it as a wall hanger now, I was half thinking of a new 2023 SolarisMax in its new shorter travel geo. Then Cotic price change email dropped. I simply couldn't justify the new £1200 frame price point when I still had a totally usable frame. I happened to mention it in a general state of the industry discussion thread. @brocklanders023 replied that there was a big thread on STW about the new Solaris. I took a look... I didnt ever think it would lead to this..

Dablk's Cotic SodaMax
In amongst all the discussion. A user popped on and mentioned he might be looking to part with his SodaMax. I had only ever seen 1 for sale and that was too small for me. This was XL. I dropped him a note, as apparently did countless others. This was local. The seller was a top guy to deal with. The price was manageable.

IMG_9020.jpeg
IMG_9021.jpeg

As far as I am aware only 50 were built 20 in 2018 and 30 in 2019. I believe this is a 2019. The seller thought there were 4 XL's that year. 2 Polished with blasted Graphics. 2 raw with black Graphics.

Looks lush that :cool:

screw the bike, is that log you've lent it against in the little woodland behind franklin close? (40 ache wood, yer right)?

ok, now the bike, yummy. I do like Cotic, if I could afford one it would be the natural successor the inbred.

Hi @novocaine , I think it’s actually the one down the back of a Asda or the one that links to it. Eitherway many happy towpath days as she learnt to ride in lockdown. I have always loved the comedy size difference on that pic.

Few cotic frames seem to be coming in a sensible money these days. Really depends if you want a bolt thru rear end. I think only the very last soul 26 had one.

Hi @novocaine , I think it’s actually the one down the back of a Asda or the one that links to it. Eitherway many happy towpath days as she learnt to ride in lockdown. I have always loved the comedy size difference on that pic.

Few cotic frames seem to be coming in a sensible money these days. Really depends if you want a bolt thru rear end. I think only the very last soul 26 had one.
ah ok, looked familiar, both have been there for 30+ years at this point. :)

I'd build a new set of wheels, but you are right, the cost is somewhat prohibitive.

still a lovely looking frame.

In 2019 I took cotic up on their tour and test rode the soul (mk4? last 650b? Polished silver/chrome) and solaris max. Latter had same geometry as yours I think. Absolute joy to ride. This looks brilliant

Latest posts

Back