Yeti F.R.O

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Recently acquired this Yeti F.R.O as the sister (brother? Are bikes male or female?) bike to my Ultimate. Both bikes originate from use by the Cycleland Race Team, and have been supplied from the same shop, Bromley Bikes. This F.R.O was purchased by an ex Bromley Bikes employee who has owned it ever since. Turns out that the previous owner and I were racing on the same team back in ‘93, so meeting up with the seller when I went to collect it turned into more of a chat about our history, people we knew, and what we’re up to now - rather than much talk about the bike 😂

The more I get into Yeti ownership, the more it seems that the history / age / spec of models is surprisingly vague. Sizes are strange to determine, with little more than a 1/4 inch difference in one tube length despite an 1 & 1/2 inch difference in supposed frame size - though where that is measured appears to be a mystery! As for serial numbers/age, this ones appears to date back to around 1990, though there is not a concrete system to support that, so it’s a case of tracking down owners of bikes that have had them from new, asking them what serial number theirs is and asking if they can remember when they bought so as to gauge if yours has a higher or lower number and therefore newer or older.:rolleyes:

The spec as purchased isn’t exactly setting the world alight, but I purchased it for the frame and history, and the fact I already have the matching Ultimate.

Like the Ultimate, the F.R.O was re-sprayed in the early ‘90s into Cyclelands Team colours of orange and grey, and compared to the Ultimate, the orange on the F.R.O has seen very minimal fading. There is a paint run in the orange, and the down tube sticker application is a bit wonky, so maybe not the best paint job!

My plan is to work with the frame and trick it out more in keeping with the Ultimate. FDAF9D06-1DBD-47BF-B309-C94A81905E95.jpeg

More to come as parts start to arrive…

Wondered who picked that up. Was on eBay for a while. Located just down the road from me and I repeated asked the seller if I could pop over and view it and he kept saying sure - but then would never confirmed time or location. Eventually gave it up as a bad job after two weeks of trying.

Still - I think it has landed in its spiritual home now!

Nice bikes and story!
Cool to see a pair of Yetis in a non-standard colour, especially together like this.
It’s a shame that the grey/orange ratio isn’t the same on them - seems an odd decision to me 🤷‍♂️
Very nice pair of bikes :cool:
In lovely condition too!
What's your plan with the forks on the FRO; Pace forks just seem out of place on a Yeti IMO.
Agreed, expect to see the RC-35s in the classifieds when their replacement arrives. I had planned on getting a set of Mark 1 Manitous, but there don’t seem to be any 1”1/4 sets about at the moment - I know there were a few on here recently but that was before I got it. Just got new elastomers to install in the RC-35s.
Eventually however, expect to see something rigid, and steel, and straight….😉
Wondered who picked that up. Was on eBay for a while. Located just down the road from me and I repeated asked the seller if I could pop over and view it and he kept saying sure - but then would never confirmed time or location. Eventually gave it up as a bad job after two weeks of trying.

Still - I think it has landed in its spiritual home now!
A part of me kinda hoped it would be bought so I could stop toying with the idea of buying it, but the urge to see them together was too strong :LOL:

Yes it’s kinda odd the fades don’t match, but when you go "rigid, steel and straight" the forks could be painted grey rather than orange, that would work and help balance it out 😎

It’s a shame that the grey/orange ratio isn’t the same on them - seems an odd decision to me 🤷‍♂️

Agreed, expect to see the RC-35s in the classifieds when their replacement arrives. I had planned on getting a set of Mark 1 Manitous, but there don’t seem to be any 1”1/4 sets about at the moment - I know there were a few on here recently but that was before I got it. Just got new elastomers to install in the RC-35s.
Eventually however, expect to see something rigid, and steel, and straight….😉

A part of me kinda hoped it would be bought so I could stop toying with the idea of buying it, but the urge to see them together was too strong :LOL:
Ha - I have to say, I did think about your Ultimate when I saw the paint scheme on the FRO. I think you had not long done your build thread. It was a good decision to pick the FRO up. Must be a cool feeling to see them side by side in the shed, espec with your history.

Back