Me too, only money cuestion :)

Do you have the dura ace 7400 group?

Re: Which group for such a frame ? - a rather rare french on

Caneco":tqvjwp7c said:
Me too, only money cuestion :)

Do you have the dura ace 7400 group?

I wrote - "I just have to unstrip another bike of mine" :idea: ;) so yes I have

I was wondering if there is any particular manufacturer-approved orientation in the lug-socket for the 'seams' of those Excell tubes, or is it down to the whim of the framebuilder?

The diameter of the tubes looks similar to 'normal', so I don't see why you couldn't mount band-on downtube shifters on that if you wanted to- that cable-stop will function just as well as a band-stop- but you probably don't want to..

torqueless":3mg882hr said:
I was wondering if there is any particular manufacturer-approved orientation in the lug-socket for the 'seams' of those Excell tubes, or is it down to the whim of the framebuilder?

The diameter of the tubes looks similar to 'normal', so I don't see why you couldn't mount band-on downtube shifters on that if you wanted to- that cable-stop will function just as well as a band-stop- but you probably don't want to..

well I am nothing of an ayatollah of period correctness with bikes an coherence with every nut and bolt but will probably use it as it was intended so either barcon or STI :idea: ;)
even if it is true, the chrome and the pearled lines makes this frame look a bit earlier than the 90's I would say :LOL:

If 1980's then you could try a French build: Simplex / Sachs / Mafac / CLB / Stronglight / TA?

hamster":35740kgr said:
If 1980's then you could try a French build: Simplex / Sachs / Mafac / CLB / Stronglight / TA?

yes , but to me its most probably post 91 as it has no downtube shifter fixation - just a cable stop and its an 8V

yes 80's would mean either Simplex SLJ 6600 derailleurs or Huret Jubiles with CLB very light calipers with the red dot and Stronglight crankset
unfortunately, I have got very limited parts from this lot :? and I cherish DA 7400 :LOL:

A contemporary french quality frame maker Didier Louis was actually building his bikes at that time as follows :idea:

bduc61":2cmxrk6i said:
would you say , its coherent ?
other ideas ?
Edco competition ?

Edco sounds good, maybe later Mavic (840 rear mech, "starfish" crankset, etc) or even later incarnations of Sachs New Success with Ergo levers*.

David

*But given my liking of all things Sachs, what else did you expect me to say?

David B":wvcbx2hy said:
bduc61":wvcbx2hy said:
would you say , its coherent ?
other ideas ?
Edco competition ?

Edco sounds good, maybe later Mavic (840 rear mech, "starfish" crankset, etc) or even later incarnations of Sachs New Success with Ergo levers*.

David

*But given my liking of all things Sachs, what else did you expect me to say?

yes
I have an edco reddish crankset, edco derailleurs , edco wheels ( but high profile) sachs calipers made by modolo which also made for edco but it is tricky to source sachs ergos :? I missed some at 20 quid lately :facepalm: and they come up very rarely !

Shame about the lack of downtube shifter bosses as Mavic SSC would've been great on this frame (in my opinion)
Dura-Ace 7400 is equally as nice though

PANZR":1ve5twpk said:
Shame about the lack of downtube shifter bosses as Mavic SSC would've been great on this frame (in my opinion)
Dura-Ace 7400 is equally as nice though

Oops. Good point there, I'd overlooked that when I suggested Mavic (although you could always "do a GAN" and mix & match with New Success Ergopower, which I believe Boardman & co did for a while).

David

Back