which frame for a black first generation Dura Ace group ?

Re: which frame for a black first generation Dura Ace group

Midlife":l8p0qcmn said:
Back on OP's thread, you have to be careful with frame colour choice for black bits, my favourite is Giro D'Italia pink ..........

Shaun
not too keen on pink :LOL:

was thinking
yellow
white - the Koga Miyata Pro Luxe of 1976 is white with Black Background for sticker Koga :idea:
or bicolor with black at the "ends"

As some previous poster mentioned I think Batavus Professional, Koga Pro Luxe and Gazelle Champion Mondial are interesting options for a black DA group.

Personally I have two sets black DA and the frames I have planned for it are a Slesker built Presto and a Champion Mondial in Amstel paint. When you buy a frame be sure it is ready for Shimano shifters (unless they are shifters on a clamp).

My 1986 Walvale has shimano dropouts ( Currently for sale on here!) was it uncommon for frames to carry shimano dropouts? Most of the frames I tend to come across have Campag or similar dropouts.

My 80's Carhall has Shimano dropouts so not unusual at all :)

Shaun

Midlife":1asusevu said:
Mercian, woodrup, bob jackson, harry quinn, aende, ken bird, jack hearne, the list of 70's british steel is almost endless. :) I ran my first genertion dura-ace new out of the box on a falcon san remo.

Shaun

Interesting Shaun.

My Ken Bird had the black first gen' DA groupset, but most components were"pillaged"over the years save the brake calipers.

As I still have this rare and lovely frameset should I attempt to purchase (£s?) those missing parts or go for an alternative?

Sacrilegious I know but my beloved Campagnolo has become a cliche in our movement - rather like SBDU frames in team colours!

Jon.

roadking":gbg0cii5 said:
Sacrilegious I know but my beloved Campagnolo has become a cliche in our movement - rather like SBDU frames in team colours!

Jon.

that's why I tend to prefer first gen Dura Ace - much less common than the Campa Nuovo Record :idea: :LOL:
even if the price was half of Campa apparently
I don't want to ride everybody's choice :mrgreen: a campa/colnago is really becoming dull :roll:

Quick time shift to the late 70's and see if I can remember the Campag / Dura Ace price tags in the shop..

Chainsets Dura Ace £35......... Campag £54

Brakes Dura Ace £37...........Campag £49

Must have a rummage among the Cycling mags of the day :)

Shaun

I am getting uncomfortable with the coverage that Dura Ace is getting; it is okay but Campag is still the best - spend your money on Campag and leave the Dura Ace to poor people like me please.

Richard

p.s. i doubt this will work as DA prices are getting mad!!! And no one has mentioned Suntour Superbe yet!!! Try buying it!!

TGR":gmpime8f said:
I am getting uncomfortable with the coverage that Dura Ace is getting; it is okay but Campag is still the best - spend your money on Campag and leave the Dura Ace to poor people like me please.

Richard

p.s. i doubt this will work as DA prices are getting mad!!! And no one has mentioned Suntour Superbe yet!!! Try buying it!!

Mmmm, not convinced: I've two Campag equipped bicycles, one with C Record and one with Nuovo Record. The new build/restoration (Ken Bird) is being refinished in its original pale blue and I rather thought the black DA group would look different.

I have enough Campag for the Bird, but just fancied a change. The DA stuff isn't cheap though you're right there.

Jon.

Back