Where should more modern Road (98+) build threads go?

Where to stick the modern old stuff

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the MTB world, I used Shimano 'Deerhead' M700 groupset and shifting was awful when compared to even the most basic of Shimano's offerings just a few years later

Personally, I’d rather not see modern builds in the Classic Road section. I come here to see old things and there are plenty of other cycling forums catering for current cycling trends.

That said, I completely accept that things have to move on. On the Retro Rides forum, the 1970s and 1980s cars that the scene started with are now pushing 40-50 years old and are out of reach of many. Cars that were nearly new when a lot of the users signed up in the early 00s are now 20 years old and becoming classics in their own right. Bikes are no different. So I’m torn on this one.

What exactly is the slant parallelogram design? Or more to the point didnt the shimano crane of the late 70s and the DA 7200 and arabesque rear mechs use that design. And if they did, did it not contravene the patent you say ran out in 84, as they predated this year?
Not wishing to catch you out, just asking
It’s where the front+rear parallelogram linkage plates are angled/slanted, so that the mech’ roughly follows the slope of the cassette as it goes through the gears.
As LGF showed, the mech’s mentioned don’t have the slant. It’s easy to see when compared to a mech’s vertical hanger bolt.

Even after Suntour’s patent ran out not all manufacturers were quick to adopt it. Campag, not wanting to be seen to copy anyone came up with their own versions of the principle in the Croce d’eAune (with its ‘tie-bar’) and the first gen’ Chorus (with two slant settings, for close or wide ratio blocks). Neither of these worked all that well, probably due to inferior geometry + cage design.

Check this mech out from 1965. I’m not sure if many were exported out of Japan, but it’s one of the favourites in my collection. So many design features would become standard decades after. It would’ve knocked spots of any mech in the pro peloton of its day and probably shifted much better than a C Record 20 years later…

I get told regularly that my 2014 Forme is an old bike.
doesn't mean it belongs here though. :)
it would be nice to chat about the more modern stuff, although I don't really fall in to the camp of chasing the latest and greatest carbon dodad.

Personally, I’d rather not see modern builds in the Classic Road section. I come here to see old things and there are plenty of other cycling forums catering for current cycling trends.
i get that, but the forum in some respects is much more than bikes, it's also about the people. We all use our imagination to conjure up who each of us is when contributing to a thread. Both in terms of age and what bikes we own/ride. Allowing users to show their modern bikes says as much about them as it does the bikes on show
just my thoughts ...

I always thought this was primarily a mountain bike forum. The road bike section is just a sop to those who ride both!

i get that, but the forum in some respects is much more than bikes, it's also about the people. We all use our imagination to conjure up who each of us is when contributing to a thread. Both in terms of age and what bikes we own/ride. Allowing users to show their modern bikes says as much about them as it does the bikes on show
just my thoughts ...
What does this say about me 🤔

20200329_183529.jpg

Back