Where should more modern Road (98+) build threads go?

Where to stick the modern old stuff

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
I always thought in the 98+ Area, but @raidan73 & @john think that’s more appropriate for MTB’s
It has been pointed out the Road section doesn’t have a stated cut-off date, I don’t see the need for a whole new 98+ Road forum but maybe a “modern road” bit could be shoehorned into either the road section or maybe the 98+ area?
Thoughts @Jamiedyer?

Introducing another road section would open a whole can of worms around what the cut off date should be and why. Road is Road..... unless it's a gravel build, where should gravel builds reside? Are they on road or off road? They are designed to do both right?

if your going to then it would make more sense in the road section, putting it in the 98+ section and people will struggle to find it as is the case with mtb's a lot of the time.

Introducing another road section would open a whole can of worms around what the cut off date should be and why. Road is Road..... unless it's a gravel build, where should gravel builds reside? Are they on road or off road? They are designed to do both right?
I agree a whole new section just wouldn’t get the traffic & would probably die a death like the BMX section. I was thinking a specific slot might be good or am I missing something? Do most people think the Road section is for everything from a Penny Farthing to a full Carbon with disc brakes ?

Last edited:
The road section seems a broad church as it stands, which I think is a good thing. I like to read about peoples experiences with 30s racers, or time trialling in the 70s, even though all my bikes have modern(ish) groupsets.

Yeah, I saw we were effectively kicked off the 98+ section

I'd leave it under the road section, the thing I can't make my mind up about, does each modern bike have a separate thread or do we have one catch-all thread for all things 98 onwards

Just thinking out loud, is there a natural split at the point dual pivots or sti / ergo arrived on the scene?
And then dare I say it, another when disc brakes appeared on mainstream road bikes?

When I first joined, I wasn't too sure where my road bike should go as it's a 1999/2000 build with a group set from the same period. Steel frame, dual pivot brakes and ergo.
Looked at the 98+, couldn't see that it fitted in there.
If I thought that my lockdown build (alloy/carbon sloping frame, dual pivots & ergos) was interesting enough I'd put it here too - it's a road bike.
I may not go a bundle over the current crop of carbon stuff but as far as I'm concerned a road bike is a road bike no matter what.

Back