Where should more modern Road (98+) build threads go?

Where to stick the modern old stuff

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just thinking out loud, is there a natural split at the point dual pivots or sti / ergo arrived on the scene?
And then dare I say it, another when disc brakes appeared on mainstream road bikes?
Not sure. Possibly @legrandefromage might confirm specific dates but I think STI came in early 80’s? But of course not across the board and I’m pretty sure indexed gears were around a lot earlier.
Maybe as @john suggests a sub forum for post 2000 Road bikes in the Road section might work?

Not sure. Possibly @legrandefromage might confirm specific dates but I think STI came in early 80’s? But of course not across the board and I’m pretty sure indexed gears were around a lot earlier.
Maybe as @john suggests a sub forum for post 2000 Road bikes in the Road section might work?
Google is telling me Shimano dual pivots and sti brake / gear levers first appeared in 1990 with the Dura Ace 7400 group

That's much earlier than I imagined

I would be happy to see later bikes go into the Road section as there's plenty of post 2000 alloy and even carbon framed bikes that are now considered design classics. Some have a cult following and can still cut it with the latest carbon disc machines..🙂

Last edited:
I think all road bikes should just be in the same section. It's a lot harder to determine a specific date between retro and modern on the road, because they've been around a lot longer than MTBs. One person might think anything with a rear mech and QR levers is too modern, while others might think that anything without disc brakes is retro...

Shimano indexed down tube shifters (s.i.s) appeared in 1984.

Yeah it all changed around '84:
SIS index
The last DA threaded hub
Campag NR/SR obsolescent
First sign of "more sprockets needed!" in about fifteen years- Campag 7 speed block
Clipless pedals coming..
Saddles, shorts and shoes ain't necessarily black any more
Petrochemical clothing replacing wool and leather
Usanians in TdF

Last edited:
Also significantly, Suntour’s patent ran out on their Slant Parallelogram in ‘84, opening the way for more efficient shifting (and effective index shifting as well)..
- Shimano’s ‘84/85 Dura Ace 7400 series derailleur was a landmark design; pretty much the template for all indexing mech’s thereafter.
I’m not much of a Shimano fan, but the research and computer modelling they invested in at that time was something else.

…And Tulio’s death in ‘83 could also be seen as the end of an era, maybe…?

Last edited:
What exactly is the slant parallelogram design? Or more to the point didnt the shimano crane of the late 70s and the DA 7200 and arabesque rear mechs use that design. And if they did, did it not contravene the patent you say ran out in 84, as they predated this year?
Not wishing to catch you out, just asking

I put new bits old old bikes so they would be both 98 and pre 98 at the same time, effectively existing in a quantum state

Doesnt happen with MTB, I just stand there looking baffled as I look at all that is wrong with my neighbour's new Commencal Meta...

What exactly is the slant parallelogram design? Or more to the point didnt the shimano crane of the late 70s and the DA 7200 and arabesque rear mechs use that design. And if they did, did it not contravene the patent you say ran out in 84, as they predated this year?
Not wishing to catch you out, just asking
They're not 'slant', just a vertical parrallegorogramating

1644307100265.png

Back