What's your Holy Grail among British frame builders?

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Probably Bill Philbrook for me. How about you?

Philbrook_TT1.jpg
Philbrook_TT4.jpg
Philbrook_TT9.jpg

Probably Bill Philbrook for me. How about you?

Philbrook_TT1.jpg
Philbrook_TT4.jpg
Philbrook_TT9.jpg
Missed this Philbrook recently

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Bill Hurlow Superbe but also a Jack Taylor in my size (54-55) as they are almost impossible to find.

I don't think I specifically have a holy grail builder. I'd quite like a locally-built bike, either from where I grew up or where I live now. Maybe something like an EF Russ, since it would be South London built and Ernie Russ was my colleague's grandfather. I'd feel a kind of connection to that I think. At the moment I have an early Parkes Lightweight which is a lovely bike, fits perfectly and is a superb ride, but it doesn't have that connection.

Quite a few I coveted, some I have, but I’d like another Roberts, a Jack Taylor and an Allin at some point.

I'd vote for Philbrook, too...quietly classy and not too well known.

One of my cycling friends when I was starting out cycling in the West Kent CTC in the early 80s had a bi-lam Philbrook which he'd bought as a retirement present to himself.
It's pale blue metallic, elegant smooth lines and thinned out lugs made me realise that there's so much more to a frame than just joining the wheels together.
My off-the-shelf, shop badged Wes Mason was definitely in a different, lower class.

All the best,

Back