What seatpost do I need (1963 vintage, 26.8mm diam)

slarge

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,
I am in the process of restoring a Falcon San Remo (the early one not the Equippe version). I am finishing it with period 10 speed Campag and it has the original tubs and a rather nice Brooks Swallow saddle.

The original seatpost is scratched to heck and also is only a post without a saddle clamp.

I wasn't around in 1963 - so am looking for some expertise/help - what are suitable makes of period seatposts that I should be looking for? I would prefer aluminium not steel, and the seatpost should have a saddle clamp suitable for a single rail saddle. Must be 26.8, although I could ream the seat tube out to 27.0 and maybe even 27.2mm.

And does anyone have a suitable seatpost?

Lengthwise it needs to be less than 200mm - even shorter than that is fine.

Thanks for your help

You want a dome top alloy post. 200mm was about as long as they came back then! I think there were a few which were numbered (Reynolds R3?) which related to the size, but I'll leave that to some of the older members on here because I'm no expert.

If you only have a tiny amount exposed and you're not worried about period correctness, there are cheap open-top alloy posts that you can put an old style saddle clamp on. I think Raleigh still brand them.

Also, give your seat tube clamp a really good measure in a few places with a vernier, in case it's got closed up by the clamp or distorted. I reamed one of mine and it uncovered a very old brazed repair and how badly out of round it was!

Re:

Thanks for that - I have already reamed the seat tube as it was out of round, and the old (scored) post now actually fits the frame.

The reamer is an adjustable one so I can open the tube a bit further if I have to.

I'll have a look for the domed top seat post - thanks for the suggestion.

Back