What spindle do I need for this crankset?

Person

Retro Newbie
In the process of restoring my circa 1960 Holdsworth Golden Hurricane, I found the spindle severely pitted. It is to the point where the pedals are very rough to turn, even with sufficient grease.
The crankset is not original. It uses a tapered square rather than the cotter pin arrangement that it would have come with from the factory. I have decided to try and source a cotter pin crankset to be more in keeping with the period of the bicycle. Adverts show that it was shipped with a Williams C34 crank, which I have managed to find, but I cannot find spindles and cups to match. The width of the crankset housing is 2 5/8" or about 67mm.

Can anyone please advise what dimensions I should look for? If anyone has one that is willing to sell a spindle and cups from that era, I am open to offers.

I might have something. Are you running 10 or 5 speed? I have the cups and a lock ring as well .
Bayliss Wiley. Axel length is always tricky. I have a few different ones, so not a problem.

Last edited:
I might have something. Are you running 10 or 5 speed? I have the cups and a lock ring as well .
Bayliss Wiley. Axel length is always tricky. I have a few different ones, so not a problem.
Do you have any loose bearing type ones? I believe that is what was originally used.

Yes I have bearings.
As far as I know the cups should be the standard size and thread . Off the top not without looking.
Axles and cups .are New Old Stock .

Last edited:
Yes I have bearings.
As far as I know the cups should be the standard size and thread . Off the top not without looking.
Axles and cups .are New Old Stock .
I am new here, so what would be the best way to discuss details etc.
Is there a direct messaging function?

I posted this in a new thread, because I forgot which your thread was!!??
Finally had a good rummage.
TDC axle short for a single Cs and 3 sets of cups . Bayliss Wiley, TDC and Brampton all complete with locking ring and bearings. All NOS
Tell me it was you .
Any of the above cups will fit . Axle length is trial and error. The TDC AXLE is a good starting point.
You decide which cups you want.
Axle and a complete set cups /locking ring and balls £15 plus postage. All are New Old Stock.

I posted this in a new thread, because I forgot which your thread was!!??

Any of the above cups will fit . Axle length is trial and error. The TDC AXLE is a good starting point.
You decide which cups you want.
Axle and a complete set cups /locking ring and balls £15 plus postage. All are New Old Stock.
Just to clarify, these are all separate cup and spindle units for threaded bottom brackets, rather than Bayliss Wiley type units for threadless bottom brackets? Apologies for asking so many questions, I'm just trying to avoid a misunderstanding.
If so, the TDC axle with cups and bearings seems like a good place to start for getting the chainline right. Would you be able to include a set of cotter pins as well for an additional cost? Also, how do you accept payment?

Many thanks

Back