What part do you still covet after all these years?

Prodigal Son

Senior Retro Guru
Ebay made dreams come thru. We all bought the bikes we stared at shop windows when we were young and poor... but there is still that part that never came thru. It´s the one which would make a bike perfect, that tall drop doable and make pain in our old bodies go away... not. My short list:
_ a 24in wide 8 degr. bend flat titanium bar ... much like a fat chance ti hbar.
A monkey lite carbon lo riser will give the same geometry but who wants a carbon riser and ahead stem on a classic vintage build?
I may fabricate a new one because in the end it´s just a titanium tube and i need no decals to feel good about it.
What is your unicorn part?

that would be the long cage version of the mavic rear mech released in the early 90s..i have the short cage version at the mo...

Prodigal Son":ofv9qddn said:
My short list:
_ a 24in wide 8 degr. bend flat titanium bar ... much like a fat chance ti hbar.

Isn't that describing a Titec Titanium bar exactly?

edit: nope!

k-rod":2a5x9bqd said:
Prodigal Son":2a5x9bqd said:
My short list:

Isn't that describing a Titec Titanium bar exactly?

edit: nope!

Every ti bar i find is either 5deg 23in or longer but 31.8 at the middle. I have decided to look for a ti supplier or builder and fabricate.

gibbleking":1k62g2z0 said:
that would be the long cage version of the mavic rear mech released in the early 90s..i have the short cage version at the mo...
Pics of that mech please.Love a bit of Mavic Mountain....

Marinovate brakes. In 3DV!
Anything titanium.
A White Industries rear hub to go with the fake front one on my Pine Mountain.
Red Judy DHs, then Pace RC36. Could never afford the former as a poor student. Now have here pairs of the latter!

Re:

Always wanted some Coda/Magic Motorcycle cranks and wouldn't say no to a set of Grafton Speed Controllers, both of which are still out of financial range 25 years later. :evil: :LOL:
By the way Prodigal Son, keep your eye out for some Titec Flat Tracker ti bars, not quite what you're after at 630mm(24.8") x 11º but have a 25.4" clamp. I have a set on my Explosif and they are excellent, really nice damped feel on stuttery terrain, the extra 70mm over the more common Titec/Bontrager bars makes a huge difference to control IMHO, only problem being they don't seem to come up often. If I see more I will probably buy them. :oops:

Re: Re:

benjabbi":2wc7xomb said:
By the way Prodigal Son, keep your eye out for some Titec Flat Tracker ti bars, not quite what you're after at 630mm(24.8") x 11º but have a 25.4" clamp. I have a set on my Explosif and they are excellent, really nice damped feel on stuttery terrain, the extra 70mm over the more common Titec/Bontrager bars makes a huge difference to control IMHO, only problem being they don't seem to come up often. If I see more I will probably buy them. :oops:

Those titanium Flat Trackers were always hard to find. Btw... Titec always has cool affordable parts especially when it comes to DH, free ride and trail riding. A long flat titanium bar w/ a lot of sweep when everybody was either selling risers or 23in 5degr. bend racers? Only Titec. Affordable 26.8 titanium seatpost w/ set back? Titec.

Funnily enough, the Explosif also has a ti Titec post and a nice steel Titec ahead stem, I have a small collection of Titec parts and it all seems really well thought out and as you say, cost effective, especially nowadays as it doesn't seem to be as desirable as other brands for some reason.

Back