VTT français? French MTBs / Components / Info / Pics etc.

Rank_21":3lz2k240 said:
Just got these, this morning. Advertised as being simplex prototypes :roll: they look very similar to mavic wishbone shifters. On disraeli gears, the author mentions that mavic were rumored to have made there derailleurs through simplex. Most likely the shifters also. The same seller also sold a nos solida crankset (wanted something different). Quite nice and light, but the rings themselves are heavy. These will go on my pre vbrake french build.
That chainset is very very appealing - and rare so very much so!!! Good catch there my friend - whats the BCD ? Does the seller have more ?
I believe those shifters are indeed sisters of the Mavic -
Man you’ve some nice stuff here - pls do let me know if the seller has more as I’m on the lookout

ibbz":1g305iq3 said:
Rank_21":1g305iq3 said:
Just got these, this morning. Advertised as being simplex prototypes :roll: they look very similar to mavic wishbone shifters. On disraeli gears, the author mentions that mavic were rumored to have made there derailleurs through simplex. Most likely the shifters also. The same seller also sold a nos solida crankset (wanted something different). Quite nice and light, but the rings themselves are heavy. These will go on my pre vbrake french build.
That chainset is very very appealing - and rare so very much so!!! Good catch there my friend - whats the BCD ? Does the seller have more ?
I believe those shifters are indeed sisters of the Mavic -
Man you’ve some nice stuff here - pls do let me know if the seller has more as I’m on the lookout

:p I already asked :LOL: unfortunately they only had these left up for auction. There seem to be 2 versions of these mavic shifters posted online. One with the butterfly screw/other with allen key. My thoughts are that the butterfly version is probably a group simplex had planned to release before going into liquidation around 1992.

....Looks like they measure about 50.5mm between bolts so probably 86bcd

Are there any current steel MTB manufactured in France ?

Thought I'd add these. Only french made flat pedals I could find.Initially these are BMX pedals, however from a previous link on generationmountainbike the MTB lyotard pedals "forest pedals" are fairly similar. Can't find any info on year etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20210311_115628418.jpg
    IMG_20210311_115628418.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 86
Rank_21":2tffbxde said:
Thought I'd add these. Only french made flat pedals I could find.Initially these are BMX pedals, however from a previous link on generationmountainbike the MTB lyotard pedals "forest pedals" are fairly similar. Can't find any info on year etc.
Haven’t seen these before
How are they?

I just bought this - saw it on eBay and went for it.
I believe they’re Zephyr cranks - 110 BCD with 170mm crank arms

Attachments

• C47AF27A-BECF-4CFD-9C74-C9AC4761E530.jpeg
    C47AF27A-BECF-4CFD-9C74-C9AC4761E530.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 62
Nice I really like those forged specialites cranks. I might look out for one. They look like XT/XTR too! I wonder if they're JIS or ISO? I've been thinking about this for the simplex cranks I got, as they're french....

Pedals are ok, would like the smaller caged version if it pops up. I got these free anyway as seller didn't point out a crack and they refunded me everything, so really can't complain.

This is a bit scratched but it was £35 and these are very rare. Would look nice cleaned with inner ring and dust caps
I believe it’s a Zephyr

Hi,

Starway was a good french brand, the X series were the best MTB's, all with True Temper Cromolly DB Frames except the X300 that have an exell frame.
It was the lightest MTB of the world with 8.6kg if I remember correctly.

I had 7 MTBs Starway (and still have 3 of them) and you can find my post if you search Starway here, you will find my bikes and also an X300 converted to road bike, a Friend of mine did that, he worked at Starway untill the end. Now the name have been acquired by a company that produces ebikes.

Starway figured in competition, just like Sunn.

Back