Vintage bike fit

For me that would be to short. I tend to have at least a couple of finger widths between finger ends and bars these days and I still think I sit up a bit to much. Having the finger ends touch the bars was a method I read about BITD (early 60's probably) and I thought it was a bit short then.

But I am getting old and inflexible!

Thanks ned, would you be using vintage style drops with a fairly long reach like road champions?
Cinelli 63 and 66 and the TTT equivalents. So probably yes, fairly 'square' and reasonably deep. Mind you, I rarely ride on the drops these days - unless it is into a block headwind!

And I try to avoid those...........................

Quick hour or so ride/ school pickup. Definitely better with the swift/ swallow, much firmer leather so I don't get the over soft mattress feeling... I think I'll still try the bigger bars with the 80mm stem or maybe the gb randonneur bars with 100mm stem. I think the wider bars might help the tricky steering with tagalong behind and school bag on the front rack...

Quick hour or so ride/ school pickup. Definitely better with the swift/ swallow, much firmer leather so I don't get the over soft mattress feeling... I think I'll still try the bigger bars with the 80mm stem or maybe the gb randonneur bars with 100mm stem. I think the wider bars might help the tricky steering with tagalong behind and school bag on the front rack...
I put some 46cm nitto noodles on my Ellis Briggs and found the steering to get much less twitchy.

Thanks another nice hours school run today, definitely need a bit more reach and a bit wider I think would help as well. Modern bars might help but ive got loads of vintage bars and no modern money!

Thanks another nice hours school run today, definitely need a bit more reach and a bit wider I think would help as well. Modern bars might help but ive got loads of vintage bars and no modern money!
Sadly the fashion in vintage bars was relatively narrow back then and the profiles aren't particularly comfortable either. Nitto noodles are pretty good value.

So I switched bars AGAIN, bar end shifters are a pain. Road custom 42 width. I like the width and the extra bit of reach but not the slope down to the hoods or the deep drops. I really liked the high hood position on the gb randonneur.

This is my other frame, subject of this thread

It's actually a 59 ctt. I measured my inseam and multiplied by 1.09 to get saddle to pedal length of 97cm, checked my gate and I already had it exactly on 97. My Roberts would look like this set up the same, but with alittle longer reach. The campag post is up nearly to the max. Stem is 110 DA and old giro d'Italia bars. Repairs and respray is going to likely cost more than simply getting another similar frame slightly larger and not in need of restoration. I guess the obvious answer is to build it back up again and ride it some more...

Any thoughts anyone? I guess I could make it fit better with a different stem.

Attachments

• 20211119_122421.jpg
    20211119_122421.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 4
Back