Tyre and freewheel advice for Holdsworth Elan

CharlesG1963

Retro Newbie
I am lucky to still be in possession of my 1980 or 81 Holdsworth Elan I purchased from new as a teenager. It still has ALL the original parts (including bar tape and saddle) except tyres of course and is in great condition -just a few scratches and rust spots. It has Campagnolo 980 gears and I swapped (and kept) the original freewheel an Oro 14,15,16,18,20,22 six speed and chain set 52/42 170mm for a new Shimano 7 speed 14-28 and reproduction Holdsworth 48/34 From planetx (inferior machining compared to the original) in order to get up the steep hills in Gloucestershire. It feels fantastic to ride but I miss the clicking sound and feel of the original freewheel.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a vintage freewheel that has 28T first gear I should try to get hold of?

Also any recommendations for tyres. The wheels are Gentleman 81 super champion. The local bike shop put on some Bontrager 700x25 that perform oK but look out of place on this pedigree racer. Thanks Charles

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
34/28? Living in the Himalayas? :)

If that's a Regina Oro, then why not consider changing the individual sprockets? Francis (Thurmer123 on Ebay) often seems to have them in stock - and is a very nice chap to deal with.

Re:

Feels like it. Aggs Hill is a regular with peak gradient of 15%.
Thanks for the advice.
Would the sprocket have to come from a 6 speed? I presume 5 speeds are wider and 7 narrower. If so would most retro 6 speed free wheels be able to donate their 2 largest sprockets to mix with the original.?

6 & 7 widths are the same and probably 5 too with just the spacers changing - although iirc some intermediates are threaded. Speak to Francis - he's an encyclopaedia of Regina stuff. Think he puts his phone number on all his listings.

Have you worked out a gear chart of the ratios you'd like btw? (=front/rear*27. Normally done as a chart with chainwheels on y axis and sprockets on x. It lets you see how much you are duplicating ratios. A valuable and much under-used bit of simple maths.)

Back