Trek Y build

I thought I would add a few updates on the build as a few things have changed, after riding the trek I was really impressed with how she rode for an old bike so I decided to do a few bits to make her a little lighter, faster and a bit more trail friendly!
So I decided to single ring the chainset which dropped a bit of weight
I have on some super fast race king tyres
Some 1998 Rockshox sid which I have repainted
Xtr Vs and xtr pedals which has bought the weight down to 9.4 kg
Absolutely love riding it around the forest as it’s so nimble F70BE238-1FCA-4DC4-906C-E27356CB4FAD.jpeg 780940EA-A606-4147-86F8-052AD7F584AF.jpeg A3BE63A8-4DC2-4402-BD48-65DC5A2EF091.jpeg

Last edited:
Beauty! I'm going to use your build as inspiration for my Y. I agree on how great they ride - I have a fleet but default to the Y when I get a chance to ride.

p.s. was going to ask what you're running for tubes? I swapped to a set of tubolitos on mine and it cut a lot of rotating mass.

Thank you 😊

I use latex tubes I can’t quite remember what they weigh but I might try some of the tubolitos, how do they roll? I know when I went to the latex over standard tube it was like the feeling of tubless almost.
I have a few bikes most of them run tubeless

I'm not sure how they compare to tubeless, I have 2 bikes with UST wheels/tires but have never bothered setting them up tubeless. I mostly noticed the weight difference; everything just felt livelier. I run them with Kenda Klimax ultralight tires (345g) on Cane Creek WAM's so it's a reasonable light package.

Wow they are light tires I’ve never heard of them i used to run furious threats back in the day but they don’t offer much grip insanely fast though. I think the race King is a real good mix of light fast and comfortable in most trail conditions I think they are 460 g. I weighed my latex tubes and they are 130 grams so if I got the tuboLito they would save me a bit

Last edited:
Man these bikes can look soo ugly, but you pulled it off perfectly. The paint, parts selection, it looks just right. So much so that I was scouring the web looking for a frame last night 😅

Man these bikes can look soo ugly, but you pulled it off perfectly. The paint, parts selection, it looks just right. So much so that I was scouring the web looking for a frame last night 😅
Thank you buddy

I was worried when building it about the wheels as I thought it would have to be carbon spoked wheels to make it look good but I really like it with the spox, I think the black spokes help too. your right though so many of them look ugly, I think that is what I liked to be honest the challenge of making it look nice!
I wanted to try and do a cannondale super v too! Again really hard but I have seen a couple where I thought it’s possible to build one of those nice too

Back