Trek 930. What to do? How much are rims worth?

Shaznaz786

Kona Fan
Hi All,
Bought a trek 930 bicycle predominantly for its" handbuilt in the USA "cromoly frame. Don't know the circa of it but I'd say 1993-1995. Also I had mighty 900 sugino cranks on my 1995 kona explosif and loved them...so sugino impel attracted me.It has sram shifters 700 esp, the explosif had 900 xrays which never missed a change. .. I'll post some pics. All in all it reminded me of my kona.. Its got some rust. I'm going to restore it and upgrade bits. In the interim I noticed the rims. Guru and hand made in the USA. They are for presta valves. I don't know the hubs, wondering if they're worth keeping, are they worth anything etc.?? Any information would be appreciated. Apologies for orientation of some of the pics but I'm in process of cleaning and dealing with the rust. Additionally couldn't help but purchase an m739 xt rear derailleur in interim.
Should I keep bike stock? Improve how? 1x10 upgrade? Thanks in advance for your opinions . 20210417_011015.jpg 20210417_011006.jpg 20210417_011015.jpg 20210417_011135.jpg 20210417_011006.jpg 20210417_010951.jpg 20210417_010944.jpg 20210417_010449.jpg 20210417_010410.jpg

Guru rims were part of the Matrix line of components, Treks in house brand. Nothing wrong with them at all, totally original to the bike and absolutely in keeping. Front hub is likely a Matrix or a System 1, again Trek in house component and well suited to the bike.

Goes without saying that the stem needs to be replaced, that thing is a boat anchor and will flex and creak. Get a nice ahead stem to replace that.
It also looks like it may be worth testing the chain for stretch. If it is then it will need replacing, and if you do that you’ll need to replace the cassette as well.

As far as other upgrades, keeping it stock is great if the bike is sentimental or meaningful, however if you want a great bike then look at the gears, then forks. Wouldn’t bother with 10 speed upgrade, too many parts involved for very little gain.

Ahead stem is a must. Rigid steel forks as opposed to the base rock shox, project 2? Or is there cheaper to be had ?. This bike has no sentimental value. Kona explosif is another matter. V brakes will be upgraded to xt or xtr. I'll keep rims and hubs then. I will upgrade cassette even without chain stretch.. was looking at them xt used m737/m739 should be OK. Have bought rear mech m739. Sugino will stay. Shifters?? Combo or separate? I was actually thinking of using later spec shadow tech rear mech 9/10 speed as I was under impression they can be dialled in for 8 speed? Front mech could be a later variant also..

I always loved the marzocchi bomber z2 or atom bombers if you want period forks that work - lightish weight, loads of smooth travel and won’t mess the geometry up on the bike. Or RS SIDS. Rigid is an alternative but if you have a rigid Kona then nothing will beat that, rigid Konas are the best and little else compares.

The only issue I can see with fitting modern mechs but running 8 speed is chain width. 8 speed chain is wider than a 10/11 and 10/11 speed mechs are narrower so there may be compatibility issues running an eight speed chain through a modern FD. If it was mine I would look for a full xt M737 group, it was a beautifully made groupset and would set this frame off a treat and would work without tinkering around the edges

I do love the m737 groupset. I'll have a think. I wanted a modern hybrid type bike not full out mtb with this 930. What if I change to 3x9 syatem. Modern mechs should work on it? Like vintage bike but a bit beefier looking if you get my drift.. I do have the option to buy a 970 trek singletrack for a few quid as well, which has full deore dx groupset. Better condition. All original. No fettling required. Better cro-mo quality.

Dammit, did l say M737, i meant M739 sorry!

970 would be rather nice too. I used to sell those treks back in the 90s, great bikes.

I agree. Having revisited m739 groupset last night... m739 functionally over m737. Would consider the m739 brake and gear shifters to replace current sram with m737/ m739 rear mech and front mech.
Rigid forks for the trek 930.. which ones? Will go rigid.

Have managed to acquire a brand new boxed m737 rear hub 32 hole. Still in plastic wrap. Silver label. Not able to attach pics. Also a brand new nos stx rc parallax hb- mc33.. 36 hole hub. I have new mavic 317, araya rm17, ritchey vantage expert for rear.. as choice. Front hub rim choice anyone? Use 36 hole hub or source a m737 32 hole front hub?
On lookout for bits, shall we say..

Ahead set required as well. Maybe handlebars. Thomson lying around anyone? Flite ti saddle. Have a Thomson masterpiece seat post somewhere. Think that would fit. Or Easton ec70/ ec80 combo re handlebars and seat post..?? Any ideas.
A friend offered to get the frame stripped and then powder coated.. don't really want to do that. Have applied water based rust treatment- gone hard and black.. would like some of its injuries to be seen..

Back