Today's Ride

Bit of a "bridge fest" this one, and technically not today's ride but Tuesday 9th.
I knew the trail existed but theres nothing online about the route and no maps at the location.
Farnworth Crompton lodges (moses gate country park) to Forrest bank Pendlebury. The route twist and turns along the River Irwell and the Manchester Bolton and Bury canal.
I've got a pretty good sense of direction but at one stage, managed to get lost... I was convinced I was heading in the right direction but a chap walking his dog told me otherwise :LOL:

I got as far as Clifton country park on Tuesday but now I've sussed it... ill do the full route next time.

so, set off from Crompton lodges and head up to "Nob End" ... "I kid you not!

zRqdK9q.jpg

imU0GfQ.jpg

jnaIBug.jpg

7ibFnrN.jpg

The bottom tier at Nob End Locks. recently cleared but already overgrown. Apparently, the dreaded Knotweed has taken over.

This area is steeped in amazing history including this breach of the canal in 1936.. pic below (obviously not mine 😁)

TxksABL.jpg

First of the bridges...
QuUbD72.jpg

Prestolee "pack horse" bridge
w4jdTDB.jpg

Three for the price of one ...
osoXnq8.jpg

... Back on track ..
9WVGp5S.jpg

Vc6jnPf.jpg

Arriving at Ringley Village ...
explstY.jpg

DO7TZ5S.jpg

The stocks at Ringley..
dSGGkhw.jpg

Plenty of vegetation
HYASCt6.jpg

The canal is totally overgrown here...
zPilHsz.jpg

Opening out to the original cobbled tow path ...
e8RR5yv.jpg

Journeys end for today...
b8FVpY2.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh I know that route well, ride quite a few different routes / directions down there. I sometimes follow 'your' route down down to Philips Park for the bike trails, then ride home via the "outwood trail" all the way to Radcliffe before threading back to my place.

Although the surroundings are pretty 'urban', various country parks link up and you can get pretty far without riding on a road. I start at Longsight Park (Bolton), on to Sevenacres, then leverhulme Park, then darcy lever gravel pits, moses gate country Park and Nob end onwards to Manchester or Bury. Some good trails!

Nob end is a SSSI and also the point where the river Croal merges with the Irwell. Quite an interesting spot.

Reactions: enc
An evening ride today and it was still 27°C when I set out at 18:00. However, I had been given an important mission: deliver a homegrown cucumber to eldest sprog's house, three miles away, and retrieve youngest sprog's iPhone from said destination. Mission accomplished, I took the long route home: 25 extra miles. ;) The breezy 23°C at the end of the ride was a refreshing contrast to what has been a hot, hot day. I've had enough of global warming already and it's not going to get better anytime soon.
PXL_20220811_181812627.jpg
PXL_20220811_191339048.MP.jpg

So you crashed twice or once? Trying to make sense of whether you rode just once, or book-ended your riding career with the same injury.

Saturday and today were branch slaps, Sunday was a stack. You know you're with the right partner in crime when they ask if the bike was ok before asking how you are 👌

Blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way. Stiff NE/NNE breeze, felt 15/16. No excuses now to shred. I went up 2 ramps that were impassable on the fleet...until now. This thing will be the end of me and it's brilliant :LOL:

Lu0cVM.jpg

My only complaints are the grips - far too skinny, and saddle - far too flexy. So ODIs and a the obligatory Flite are on their way.
It was 30 years ago and I came off going downhill in a woodland as a teenager!

Stuck to road since then! Probably more dangerous though!!

Ooh I know that route well, ride quite a few different routes / directions down there. I sometimes follow 'your' route down down to Philips Park for the bike trails, then ride home via the "outwood trail" all the way to Radcliffe before threading back to my place.

Although the surroundings are pretty 'urban', various country parks link up and you can get pretty far without riding on a road. I start at Longsight Park (Bolton), on to Sevenacres, then leverhulme Park, then darcy lever gravel pits, moses gate country Park and Nob end onwards to Manchester or Bury. Some good trails!

Nob end is a SSSI and also the point where the river Croal merges with the Irwell. Quite an interesting spot.
... im just scratching the surface by the sounds of it. Like you say urban life is a mere half mile away (mostly) but it feels like you are miles away from anywhere ... so peaceful :cool:

Last edited:
Cosy 19/20 degrees, nice E breeze, blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way. Absolutely perfect conditions. Dusty trails and very overgrown in spots. So just for James:

ntoPXU.jpg

7n7brF.jpg

If you subscribe to my Only Fans page, I'll show you my fantastic yellow/blue bruise on my inner right thigh - it's a beauty! ;)

Experimented with a few paths / trails to get to Carn Brea without taking the road. As per the above, they didn't really work out so well but the horse path around said Brea is a nice short loop before the real fun across the moor to Sancreed.

zJvpVB.jpg

This is on Brea, 2 thirds up on the horse path looking over to St Buryan. Smiles for miles on the big beast!

Back