Today's Ride

Trip over salter fell today . Ride of two halves, sunny to begin with and a lovely lunch in wray. Last 1 1/2 were torrential rain and side winds. Not my favourite combo
Always fancied it, not ridden it. Heard it was 'one of the best gravel routes in the North'?

Next year maybe.

Heard it was 'one of the best gravel routes in the North'?
It's pretty good, double track all the way and about 10 miles of moorland wilderness. It's not technical by any stretch of the imagination and it's not possible to do any off road loop so you end up with quite a lot of road work in the second half.

I survived! We parked opposite the Tackaroo (still free) and I rode down to join the Red Follow the Dog route. Wife and son headed off for a walk whilst I was straight into a downhill single track. It was all a lot harder than I remember. Forearms and fingers were hurting in no time and I realised why I mainly stay on the road these days! I did relax into it slightly and started picking a line a bit better.
Leaving the bike shop behind, I became aware of a knock at the back. Like a buckled wheel feeling? Rim appeared ok but the tyre wasn't. Bit of a bulge starting on the sidewall. Too far in to turn around now. I let a bit of air out and went easy on the downhills and harder on the ups! Probably what I would have done anyway! There was a lengthy diversion after the bike shop as that is where they are getting ready for the Commonwealths. I got the impression the TV will be based around Birches Valley? The concensus was a fair part of the course will be the old Blue route now renamed Perry's? There must be some technical parts? Suppose single track through the trees won't be TV friendly?
Might end up like a race I did BiTD that the Raleigh team turned up to with tri bars on their bikes.
Apart from the tyre and the front brake quick release quick releasing from time to time, I enjoyed it. I will not leave it so long before the next ride. Need some new tyres first though.
image.jpeg

A bit cooler than yesterday, though still nice and warm, with a lovely cool breeze in the woods.

A nice though tiring ride up to and around Hardwick. The ground is still rock hard so the trails were running very fast, which is great for the most part until you suddenly hit an overgrown nettled section. Quite a lot of people out on bikes today, must be teachers.

A great ride in near perfect conditions.

20220727_111102.jpg 20220727_113108.jpg 20220727_113120.jpg 20220727_114048.jpg 20220727_114111.jpg

Epic exploration day turned into a quick 10 mile ride as the rear inner tube shat itself and the pads on the rear brakes fell off their mounty mount. Still a nice day though and got to ride at least

Attachments

• 20220727_120209.jpg
    20220727_120209.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220727_120218.jpg
    20220727_120218.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220727_120228.jpg
    20220727_120228.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Mosey through local woods and parks with the new child seat (naturally i also had to build my lava dome back up to accomodate it :LOL:). Much better handling with it being mounted on the cross bar, and opens up gentle off-road routes away from the traffic. Daughter (20 months) loved it, even the rain and the mud.
20220731_195152.jpg 20220731_102502.jpg

Post-work ride out; felt the need to really cover some ground and blow out the cobwebs, so, setting off at 7.15ish I told my wife i'd be home by 8.30 and had a route in mind, mostly off-road, fast gravel tracks, and fairly hilly.

Choice of bike required little deliberation; my explosif. Light, fast rolling tyres, a good mix of stiffness and flex, and daft riser bars which make it climb really well.

Heavy rain came on towards the end and I got drenched, but nothing could stop those sweet endorphins flowing :LOL:

20220801_200034.jpg

Looking over towards Peel Tower
20220801_200904.jpg
20220801_200937.jpg

Nice to see the later Explosif's out and about.

After a week of an additional four legged rascal staying with us - two pairs of hands needed to walk and supervise - followed by some shocking early morning weather the past 5 days (super-thick fog / rain clouds, so got the runs in the tank) it was totally ace-balls to get back on the saddle this morning. As the picture shows, the tone was set right from the start, of which this shot was taken looking down towards the airport, Sennen and the far-west. I was caught in 2 localised showers resulting in some pretty treacherous road conditions. Whilst it's not been hot - guess what, still not over 20 - it's been very dry, so it got pretty slippy. Anyway, any time in the saddle is a good day 👌

5X4MqJ.jpg

Interesting to hear about the weather you're having down there, up here in the North West it's been warm the last few weeks but with a couple of days of really wet and changeable weather.

On my lunch this afternoon I picked a few road-side blackberries from a bush absolutely dripping with ripe fruit. Bizarre.

Last edited:
Back