Today's Ride

I stopped and took a photo. I swear I did.
Gallery says no: eh?

Towpath and riverbank mostly waterlogged. We've had some very heavy downpours over the weekend, but i was undeterred. The Monday morning sprint was going to happen.
Lucky day for me - avoiding the showers as if charmed.

Not particularly warm though, 10°c.

I think we're a month behind. It feels and looks like early April with plenty of showers and blustery winds.

Monday's ride (and today's to be honest) was an exploratory grind to find new routes and paths. It's going to take a while for sure but I'm not complaining! After a wet weekend, the trails were still pretty good because the wind dries everything out. That said there were a few boggy places as I skirted up and across Tregeseal circle.
fNeJlJ.jpg

lu8n9z.jpg

htUIXq.jpg

SEsiLt.jpg

Today I headed the opposite direction, revisiting the area in-between HQ and Sennen where the wildfire took hold back in March. Lot's of potential with some cracking single-track and not a soul to be seen. Slightly cooler 9 degrees rising to a massive 10 with a healthy breeze.

5AToKB.jpg

sNtvNv.jpg

dWTeNt.jpg

If it’s april in Cornwall you should see the Alps...still like March ... weird... this amount of snow in May! Photo was at 1900m at Chetzeron in Valais in Switzerland - Wind from the NE for weeks - very unusual circulation - friend and head honcho coach Yves of Swiss Mountain Sports emailed me yesterday ... his ride:

Attachments

• 627C8D56-9326-4A91-970D-0B916FEBC11C.png
    627C8D56-9326-4A91-970D-0B916FEBC11C.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Recent weather forecasts have been all over the place, but this evening looked like the best window for a while, so I decided to take the fixed wheel road bike out for a spin. It was actually much warmer than I expected, and I could feel the sun on my back on the long uphill, so I was glad that I hadn't worn too many layers. The trees are coming into leaf, the green fly are out, and it feels like summer is finally coming. My loop was just over 21 miles, and I managed the whole lot without unclipping or putting my foot down once. My knee didn't give too much trouble. Not sure if it's improving, or if it's just the warmer weather that helps.

Don't cross the stream(s).

A colleague walks during his lunchbreak. He takes a path that remains from a past life of the area, running down an embankment and along a canal spur. He speaks favourably of it. The area has a modern identity far removed from its historical one. All that remains is the canal, and what was once heavy industry has been replaced by a retail park.
Screenshot_20210518-192103_Gallery.jpg

I knew of the path but hadn't explored it.
This afternoon I did so. It was much longer than expected, and branched off in a couple of directions that will be investigated another time.
Screenshot_20210518-192112_Gallery.jpg

After reaching the main road I crossed over, reached the bridge and descended the steps to rejoin the canal. I rode the mile or so to Aldwarke, and as it started spitting I turned towards home.
Screenshot_20210518-192054_Gallery.jpg A day for shorts.
Bizarre weather.
6°c this morning
16°c this afternoon.
Intermittent heavy showers and sunshine.
16 or so miles

Last edited:
That really is quite stunning. I'm going to guess somewhere in the Pennines.

Weather was similar when I was out riding today, but I didn't venture off road, so no moorland trails for me.

Yes, around the Edale valley.

Back