Today's Ride

Finally the wind dropped below 15mph, so I was out in the saddle as soon as possible this morning! 9 degrees, felt like 5 in the cheeky headwind. High cloud, dull, very localised showers, which I of course encountered; you can see it below!

Just peddling was a joy after early morning / early evening runs dodging flying branches and being blown around left, right and centre. Took in the view down to Treen and Gurnard's Head, grateful for what's been an incredible 12 months (to the day) down in the wild west.

6d60IV.jpg

It was cold, windy and dismal outside, and after a tough ride last weekend, I chose a short, easy ride today. I'd heard about some little known relics of local history that caught my attention, so I headed for 'Tetrahedron Field'. And here we are:

PXL_20220306_122141222.jpg
PXL_20220306_122011037.jpg
The tetrahedra are anti-tank devices, over 100 years old, dating from WW1, when Bekesbourne Aerodrome was located here. Perhaps they were intended to protect the aerodrome from enemy tanks in the event of invasion.

The aerodrome closed in 1940 but local road names reflect its history and a memorial includes a quote from Winston Churchill: 'History with its flickering lamp stumbles along the trail of the past, trying to reconstruct its scenes, to revive its echoes, and kindle with pale gleams the passion of former days.'
PXL_20220306_121557384.jpg

Back