Today's Ride

I didn't notice what the temperature was today, but it was sunny with a strong, cold wind. Not a bad day for riding but heading straight into the wind sapped away the momentum. Feeling a bit rundown as it is, I didn't want to overdo it today, but I also felt like covering a bit of distance too, so I took the road bike: more distance for less effort. And that's its appeal. But I enjoy riding the mountain bikes more. I liked the idea of riding on the hoods of a road bike but I don't find it especially comfortable in practice. At least I know not to get a drop bar gravel bike now. Perhaps a flat bar road/gravel bike is the way forward.

Anyway, today's ride took me to Cox Hill, not far from Dover. There isn't much to see there. It's farmland but the peace is broken by the drone of the race track that is the A2: rustic but with a hint of roar. The top of the rise on the left of the photo is the junction to join the A2.
PXL_20211024_122149371.jpg

Heading back, I stopped at the sight of this magnificent beast.
PXL_20211024_123236266.jpg
PXL_20211024_123333073.jpg

I stopped for a drink at the little church at Barfrestone, though the church inspired less of a sense of the wonders of the Almighty than the fellow above, then I headed back to what passes for civilisation.
PXL_20211024_133511360.MP.jpg

It was a peaceful ride, a beautiful day, and it felt good for mind, body and soul. Having read this thread—RIP Captaincowelly—and having known others that have suffered, I feel lucky to enjoy days like today.

I didn't notice what the temperature was today, but it was sunny with a strong, cold wind. Not a bad day for riding but heading straight into the wind sapped away the momentum. Feeling a bit rundown as it is, I didn't want to overdo it today, but I also felt like covering a bit of distance too, so I took the road bike: more distance for less effort. And that's its appeal. But I enjoy riding the mountain bikes more. I liked the idea of riding on the hoods of a road bike but I don't find it especially comfortable in practice. At least I know not to get a drop bar gravel bike now. Perhaps a flat bar road/gravel bike is the way forward.

Anyway, today's ride took me to Cox Hill, not far from Dover. There isn't much to see there. It's farmland but the peace is broken by the drone of the race track that is the A2: rustic but with a hint of roar. The top of the rise on the left of the photo is the junction to join the A2.
View attachment 579053

V cool photo. Keep meaning to change my name to Swiss Chard; there’s nothing that guy couldn’t achieve.

Today's ride: just a couple of hours, because it rained hard until after lunch and I needed to be back by 16:30-ish.

Weather: sunshine but a bit cold with strong winds, especially on the seafront. Having read/watched this—https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59051407—this morning, though, I was grateful for the cold. By cycling through the seasons, I appreciate the cycle of the seasons.

Bike: Stumpy

Photos:
PXL_20211031_151838239.jpg
PXL_20211031_152408858.jpg
PXL_20211031_160748127.jpg
PXL_20211031_161245034.jpg

I was determined to get a ride in today despite the rather unpleasant looking forecast, decided it was time to take the Explosif out for a blast.

Chose a local loop from Blandford through Bryanston School to Durweston along the trailway back into Blandford. Nothing too technical but a chance to blow away the cobwebs.

Lots of fallen trees, mud and puddles, sadly no mudguards on the Kona.

Just about 9 miles but got back with mud on my bike and a smile on my face 😀 IMG_20211031_103405_933.jpg IMG_20211031_103410_381.jpg IMG_20211031_104024_341.jpg IMG_20211031_104725_164.jpg IMG_20211031_110948_391.jpg IMG_20211031_140606_530.jpg

Pics are all ace!!!

Pissed it down all morning and spent the afternoon building wheels..... will try this week for an evening ride or 3

Life has been hectic with too many boring things to mention here. Running has kept me going and I have the Reading Half marathon this Sunday. I did manage to get out on the moors on the last weekend before the weather turned which was ace: 3 hours of heaven with barely a soul to be seen.

5RHLSE.jpg

This lunchtime I finally hit the black stuff after 3 weeks. Whilst the weather was variable to say the least (blustery, short, sharp showers, 10 degrees) and I literally hit the tarmac to avoid a speeding farmer in his 4*4, it was still brilliant to get some miles in the tank and enjoy the scenery.

pmJQ9EVUj

I was given the "lost lanes North" book for my birthday and was going to try the route around over salter fell in bowland. However the weather was awful so we headed south into the peak District for a pootle around Eyam.
I am really looking forward to riding the Salter fell road myself. I've ridden over Cross O Greet a couple of years ago, which was nice, but the Salter Fell road is supposed to be spectacular.

Some pretty amazing weather today, warm, cold, windy and constantly changing skies.

A short loop with an old friend visiting some old haunts, great day.
Absolutely ace photos.

Back