Today's Ride

I finished off building up the Ridgeback 705RS this morning, then took it for a ride in the late afternoon/early evening. It was Markybeau's until a few weeks ago and it has appeared in a number of posts on this thread until it was kindly karma-ed to me. Ridgebacks of this era don't get a lot of love on this forum, or anywhere else, and I sometimes think that I'm the only person who really likes them, but I just find them really good looking bikes.

It's a parts box build at the moment and today's ride was very much a test ride. Some things will change; the M550 front mech is first in the firing line. I don't like that at all. Aside from that, the ride quality is fine: it's a smidgen heavier than the 704TX I have but the 705RS doesn't flex around bottom bracket in the way the 704TX does, and that's a very good thing. The geometry and steering will take a little getting used to, though, and I'm not sure whether it should be racier, like the Stumpy, or just chilled and comfy, like the Hardrock: the Ridgeback is low but short. Hmm. Anyway, today's ride: about 24 miles to Wye, 17°C, lots of stops to tweak things. And the seat post kept sliding down a little but I didn't want to over-tighten the clamp, break it, and have a long, slow, laborious ride back - and miss the football.
I liked the way it looked and loved the paint - I'm not a fan of green either - but I just couldn't get on with the way it rode. Good to see it being appreciated 👍.

A busy day and a short early evening chill out ride to blow the cobwebs from the windmills of my mind. Another 12 miles on the Ridgeback today and I'm starting to get the feel of it. I imagine that, if you're accustomed to an alloy Stumpy, the power transfer probably doesn't feel quite as immediate. However, with geometry very much like the super-comfy Hardrock, but with a bit less fork rake and a frame that's about 400g lighter, there's a lot to like. I can see it getting a lot of use.
PXL_20210713_173028571.jpg
PXL_20210713_173105658.jpg
PXL_20210713_172954255.jpg

Got accused of being a fairweather rider yesterday so a ride was inevitable today.

Mexborough is an anomalous place, in that it is steeped in history, and yet today no-one cares.

This is the 12th Century Norman Church just down the road from my house, as viewed from the towpath. There is an archway linked with the church that stood on a local property until about 15 years ago. The 900 year old arch had to be rescued from eBay, as the hoodlum that bought the property wanted shot of it so he could have a patio laid. He also demolished the grade two listed cottage that accompanied it in an 'excavator accident'. The arch is now safe and stands in the garden of the Mexborough Almshouses. The aforementioned hoodlum recently completed a long stretch, for offences related to class... A and B mainly.

Screenshot_20210713-195214_Gallery.jpg

It was overcast and spitting on the way in. Bit breezy on the way home, but close and very warm.

Last edited:
Today's ride was primarily punishing my lumbar region, as I took the Torus. It's such a nice bike. I've decided I'm not going to ride it much. It's going to become a bit of a garage queen. (So I should really put the original crankset back on). I have an RSP to build, which I can pretty much do whatever I want with. This I think should remain unmolested. I feel like I'm defiling it every time I take it out.

A colleague wanted to see it as he loves British engineering - he's currently restoring a 1978 Rover SD1 V8-S - and he's never seen a ti frame.

So the ride in and home were a slightly slower than usual meander.

The ride home very warm and glorious sun. Nice day. More please.

Screenshot_20210715-192738_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Digging your Mexbrough church post; so much history under our noses that noone notices. Quite a lot of Roman roads still in use round here, and loads of Neolithic leftovers that Are easily overlooked.

Them!

Today was the day of the ants. A bloom. Queens everywhere on the way home.

I was the last one out and had to lock up. The heat was oppressive. Hot blustery air whistling in my ears. Every pedal stroke is demanding. It's been a long day, week, month...

Below is the arch mentioned in a previous post.

Screenshot_20210716-203411_Gallery.jpg Yep that did actually end up on ebay.
Screenshot_20210716-203356_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210716-203425_Gallery.jpg
16°c this morning.
27°c this afternoon, but felt like more.

Back