Thorn Audax Mk1 refurb

Re:

Wow! A great collection of Thorns and you never stumbled across Retrobike! Welcome - and thanks for posting pics of your bikes online, for us to find! Good work!

Hey all. Progress this week....

I lasercut some mudflaps out of rubber to go on my VO guards;

EnqME3O.jpg

ry3ZU3m.jpg

Got the headbadge cleaned up and looking crisp;

CG1J36Z.jpg

Everyone's favourite tubing sticker fitted! 😀

8lcG1bC.jpg

White gold band for a little extra blingy detail;

vsfAmH8.jpg

The fork is pretty much done, and the frame is not far behind!

t8Fycmf.jpg

Last edited:
Paint is done barring a final polish;

Ym4tioj.jpg

Today I dug out a bell I want to put on this bike; it's nothing fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but this was the bell my dad put on my first real bike, many years ago! It had a good long life on some of my early bikes and has been in my parts box for years now, but this Thorn seems the right machine for it.

kKKHAs9.jpg

The anodizing was very tatty so I wire wooled the whole thing and polished up the aluminium so it looks more presentable. :)

Last edited:
Re:

That's a cracking job - never thought of Thorn being retro but they have been around for over 25 years - yours must have been quite an early one.

Re:

My work colleague cycled toured to Turkmenistan and back on a Thorn audax. His was British racing green though. Nice bike... as is spa cycles audax frame.

Re: Re:

otherself":1zer9as5 said:
My work colleague cycled toured to Turkmenistan and back on a Thorn audax. His was British racing green though. Nice bike... as is spa cycles audax frame.

I dont think the Spa Cycles frame is anywhere near as nice or as good as any Thorn.
John

Back