Thorn Audax Mk1 refurb

Iwasgoodonce:3fw6l408 said:
Going to be an elegant, functional bike. How did the rack mounts clean up with blasting?

Really well. Bit of pitting on the rear dropout mounts but the rest look grand;

7pTkHxk.jpg

OKxbHBZ.jpg

Been in the booth and finally got some paint on the bare metal, a coat of etch primer and the first coat of white... :mrgreen:

I'm going to leave this to cure for a few days and come back to it next week for the blue which should have it looking a little more exciting.

A0lYwfG.jpg

The old BB cups are just to keep paint off the threads during this phase.

7kxa7GD.jpg

Does the serial number mean anything to anyone? Built in 1997 maybe, around the right period?

GAXU55E.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re:

Chat Noir":3u5naws0 said:
Always been intrigued by this frame with it’s mix of different tubes – will watch this build with interest.

To try and clarify things about 653 here's some info and a scan from what I believe is the 1988 Reynolds’ catalogue, although may be from the following year:

‘1987 Another first for Reynolds. The launch of 653. This tubeset was the first available to builders with variable strength tubes. These strengths are specially designed for the professional racer and 653 is a new concept in obtaining strength and stiffness where it is needed most in the frame geometry’ (variable strength technology was extended to the 708 and 731os tubesets, the latter of which was launched in 1992).

This page from the same catalogue shows 753 and 653 (and 531 Competition). It also has seat post size recommendations: notwithstanding Reynolds’ recommendations my metric Peugeot 753s and 653 all take 26.8 seatposts :facepalm: .

Good luck.

I think I will start a new thread on 653, so as not to hijack this one. So many questions (like, 'If 653 and 753 are the same gauge, shouldn't they weigh the same?').

howlindawg":lgii313o said:
zerogravitas":lgii313o said:
I'm also considering mudguards, either chromoplastics painted to match the frame, or something like Velo Orange's swish looking alloy guards. Wonder if they will be a little rattly though. Anyone with experience of them?

I think they sell leather washers that you can use during assembly to eliminate any rattle.

I have VO 45mm hammered mudguards on one bike - they're beautiful, no rattles, and excellent coverage. Highly recommended.
Yes, the leather washers are part of the kit and I used them for all the metal/metal contacts. They weren't too difficult to install - the spars are tough and a decent hacksaw required.

Fresh Tripe were excellent for communication and service.

Lovely Thorn frame - all the best for the project!

garanti_construit":3r7zrw97 said:
I have VO 45mm hammered mudguards on one bike - they're beautiful, no rattles, and excellent coverage. Highly recommended.
Yes, the leather washers are part of the kit and I used them for all the metal/metal contacts. They weren't too difficult to install - the spars are tough and a decent hacksaw required.

Fresh Tripe were excellent for communication and service.

Lovely Thorn frame - all the best for the project!

Thanks for your thoughts! Yeah VO look like the ones to go for at the moment. I have 30c tyres for this, so my options are the 38mm smooth guards which will be quite snug, or I step up to the 45mm options (with the various lovely hammered/faceted options). Could I ask what tyre width/clearance you have?

I've enjoyed the information and debate on Reynolds 653 and this grab-bag tubeset on the Thorn. Definitely one of the things that makes this frame a little bit out of the ordinary so I'll be sure to have a read through of the 653 thread later. :)

There was plenty of room under the fork crown & rear brake bridge (50mm+). The chainstay bridge clearance isn't so good (I think it was measured around 38mm): but the mudguard was easily curved to fit, and the wheel spaced further back into the dropouts.

Wheels are 27"/630 and tyres 1 1/4"/ 32mm.

So far, all ok.

Re:

Big paint update for you all. After a week I was pretty happy to get the main colour on this afternoon. First I had the horrible job of masking the lugs which is not something I'd wish on my enemies. If you have a bike with contrasting painted or chrome lugs then yeah... be grateful to the painter. ;)

Xk8SkjI.jpg

YtgiaeA.jpg

I also masked the dropouts, bands on the fork legs and the logos.

HZ62EDo.jpg

bPC9fMm.jpg

The first blue I mixed for this I got as far as spraying the fork before I decided I really didn't like it, it felt a bit flat and too similar to the original colour of the frame. I mixed up a teal blue/green instead, keeping it quite sober but I think making for a good contrast with the white lugs and text.

p0IMtoy.jpg

This image showing the frame and fork together isn't quite true to the final colour, the others of them separately are more accurate (at least on my monitor).

NbOWE8w.jpg

TczKAFd.jpg

After demasking the white I tidied up some of the lug edges with a scalpel and brush and finished up getting a first coat of clear over the whole lot.
I have the Reynolds decals to go on before a final coat some time next week, and I was also toying with the idea of doing a gold stripe on the banding/forks somewhere. Maybe that's too much though, gonna sleep on it.

My Velo Orange mudguards have arrived too, many thanks garanati for your advice. ☺️

Last edited:
Re: THORN Audax restoration.

COPY:-FiveAlpha
Post subject: Re: Thorn Audax Mk1 refurbPostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pm
Old School Hero

I always liked the red and blue 853 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/186990228 ... 557355877/

(Not my bike or photo).

I only joined here today. I had no idea this Forum existed.
I am happy to see the above post from a member. The red and blue Thorn Audax 853 in the link, is mine! Completed restoration a couple of months ago.
I have others and you can find them on my link below.
Best to all,
John

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186990228@N05/albums

Back