THE ultimate Ti build

Have you figured out some clever way of suspending it from the tree or is it so light that it's just floating away?

Smithjss70":19reuwad said:
A Selle Evolution & some Ti eggs and you can put a bow on it.

I like the perforated Flite more but yes, I have thought about the Evolution too ;)
Ti eggs would look nice, but I don't ride clipless!

Adam_S":19reuwad said:
Have you figured out some clever way of suspending it from the tree or is it so light that it's just floating away?

It's really light ;)

Some news: new Panaracer Tyres. I like.

_mg_2696sdke3.jpg

_mg_2698tckia.jpg

_mg_2710oxk4t.jpg

_mg_2700gxj5t.jpg

_mg_27094pktp.jpg

Re: Re:

bishopdante":3l9ob49m said:
My word. Lovely.

___

Titanium is very interesting stuff. The issue is making it metallic, not that it is a rare element. It is as common as iron as an oxide.

Problem is that it is immensely reactive, which is why it is so strong - the atoms are very sticky/charged.

Titanium is so reactive that refining it from oxide is incredibly difficult, and has to be done by hand in small quantities, rather than industrially. It can also explode violently in a liquid state. Refining is the expense.

It is also very demanding to weld, and is also tricky to machine. It is sticky, work hardens very easily, and the chips / dust can catch fire or explode. Similar issues to aluminium except 20x as bad.

Titanium oxide is cheap, and everywhere. White paint, as used on most houses is titanium oxide.

In the future metallic titanium might become industrially avaliable, and be used in architecture and drinks cans, like aluminium or steel. It will never become easy, and has to be processed in an inert or vacuum environment, but there may be a future where all-ti bikes are affordable.

Titanium interestingly responds well to 3d printing, selective laser melting/sintering from dust in an oxygen-free chamber may well be the ideal way to work with the stuff. I have a few aerospace samples of miniature space frame parts built that way which are truly inspiring. Just don't ask about the cost.

In terms of what the ideal exotic metallic material would be desirable for a disk rotor, would suggest that tungsten might be the ideal.

Titanium rotors being ground by an abrasive pad in an oxygen rich atmosphere (ie not space) will throw highly flammable metal dust, would expect white sparks and a lot of heat.

Interesting. I once destroyed a new pair of Oakleys from the Ti sparks flying off an angle grinder :facepalm: Nasty stuff.

Great to see you are still enjoying this beauty. I have the same forks on a FAT Ti and they transform the ride.

Did you ever think about carbon rims during your build? Might have made it a bit lighter…
Loving the Ti.

Back