The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

@Mickeyspinn I'm also a tad dyslexic so i'm always looking for workarounds when things don't quite make sense, which stands me in good stead.

@legrandefromage Everything! (mainly the creaky floor) it's a downfiring sub and we live in a neglected (not by us) Victorian house so it's all a bit rattly and prone to vibration, the sub is positioned at the side of a dividing wall between us and our neighbour so i wondered if i could reduce boom/vibration through the floor and wall and hopefully improve the sound, at least that was the intention...

Ah

Subwoofer equalisation is your friend here, it will stop certain frequencies from making bits of the house resonate

unfortunately its mostly in the home cinema world that offers this, I dont know what there would be for two channel

I don't have the space for floorstanding speakers so i'm running bookshelf speakers (Linn Kan) and a small sub for the low ends.. i've got no complaints about the sound but i find myself perpetually twiddling sub knobs.. I would like to get the sub set up perfectly and leave it be but.. (for instance) Innervisions on CD (let's say) Living For The City carries a lot of low frequency sound so i set the crossover and level accordingly and it sounds amazing but if i flip the CD to (let's say) Prince, Sign O' The Times, there is almost nothing coming from the sub at the same volume, even if i put my hand underneath i can hardly feel any vibration from the cone, it's all in the mids, still sounds great but i can't resist twiddling the roll off/levels which then throws the next CD out of wack, so i'm twiddling knobs between every CD which i would like to avoid, maybe i just need to set the sub roll off to the bass heavy recordings and come to terms with the fact that some recordings have next to no low frequency sound and just tweak the levels if need be?

Ah (again)

80s mastered cds seem to have no bass whatsoever, something you will have to live with unless you want to visit re issues / remasters

But then on familiar music, it can sound so odd that ts unlistenable and I end up back with the cosy bass free sounds I remember

Incessant and rampant tinitus means I can't join in on your techy enjoyment of sounds 😠 to have young ears again and hear all that little juicy succulent suttlety of sound ....if I'd never heard it it wouldn't be so bad....sometimes I spin a bit of vinyl and feel cheated...... Memory tells me something is missing,i'd trade my sense of smell to hear properly again! Anyone want a distinguished and prominent nose...comes with a few boogers to boot? 😁

What are people doing with there old hi-fi‘s that they long cherished, I just can’t bring to give mine away after 20 years but I have no electric in the garage and the thing is massive compared to the sonos pods.

It’s now just a boxed ornament 🙁

What are people doing with there old hi-fi‘s that they long cherished, I just can’t bring to give mine away after 20 years but I have no electric in the garage and the thing is massive compared to the sonos pods.

It’s now just a boxed ornament 🙁
if you cannot run a cable to power up the garage. How about a solar panel and inverter system, 100<200W panel and a car battery would be OK until you switch on the disco ball 😎

if you cannot run a cable to power up the garage. How about a solar panel and inverter system, 100<200W panel and a car battery would be OK until you switch on the disco ball 😎
I totally looked at all that. My lights are solar powered. Enough power for a stereo seems over engineering. And maybe drawing a bit to much attention to what’s in the shed.

I did find a power station, useful for other things as well then, but bit pricey:

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When my kid was born we'd been living in a crook barn conversion for around 10yrs, the living space was in the apex of the roof so i couldn't really have shelves because of the beams (+it was Grade II) my HiFi was stacked on the floor/toddler domain so my kid kept pushing buttons and poking shit in the CD tray, at the time i had close to 1000 CD's, couldn't easily move the system out of his way so i sold it while it still had value, put all the CD's in storage cases and put them in my folks attic, moved onto i-pods, sounddocks and such but never really made the full transition to digital, i've never used i-tunes or spotify but i made another massive music library via torrents and converters but it's all shitty compressed MP3 quality to match the storage levels of that era.
A while ago i bought a new stereo amp, Leak 130 ex-display from HiFi Corner in Edinburgh, it was a bargain! and a Brennan B2 (Don't buy one, FFS!) with thoughts towards storing my CD collection on the Brennan, bypassing the B2's DAC via optical into the Leak and out through my Kan's.. I didn't want 100's of CD's on display again like a homage to the 90's but there is no CD drive in my Mac and it doesn't really have enough ram to cope with the collection so i didn't want to buy an external drive. I was super disappointed with the B2 so i sent it back... Hmm but now what? I was really impressed with the Leak so i bought the matching CD transport, i've moved a few 100 CD's into our spare room and i've just got 25-30 CD's on the rack i made on the previous page. It's nice listening to CD quality albums again in their entirety through a decent system.. i've missed it!

Back