The Inevitable Wheel Building Thread!

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
As expected, here is my first question.
I am watching a YouTube video of wheel building. The chap is building a three cross 32 hole front wheel. I am building a 28 hole back wheel. Luckily it isn't dished like a back wheel normally is.

Also it is only a 16 inch rim. For this reason I only want to do a two cross build. In the video, the builder fits spokes from the left and right flange and then twists the hub towards him. He then starts feeding spokes from inside the flange and goes over, over and under.

I take it this is where the 2x differs? Do I simply go over and under.

The video is this one: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ADTpzMPgU

Thanks.

Yep, assuming you've calculated the spoke length correctly, then lace every other hole as normal, and when you start on the others, just cross two other spokes, not three.

Thanks Foz. I have sort of built a wheel. I have messed up somehow though. The valve hasn't ended up in one of the bigger gaps.

Mr Hessen said to make sure this happens and it hasn't!

Can anyone see anything else wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 326
Not sure what you think you've done wrong . Looks ok from above . Put up a pic of the valve hole ;) .BTW I think the cat has claimed it :LOL:

Mike

The reason for the Valve hole not being in the large gap between the spokes is that the first spoke goes into the hole next to the valve hole.
AND when you put in the 2nd set of spokes you MUST twist the wheel (The very first spoke that you put in next to the valve hole) AWAY from the valve hole NOT TOWARDS it.
It has nothing to do with either twisting the hub towards YOU, or away from YOU. its only about twisting that first spoke/wheel away from the valve hole.

Ah, it'll be the last one. Defo twisted towards me. I did start the first spoke adjacent to the valve hole though. All in all it seems OK. I trued it this evening and it isn't too bad. For my first go it could have gone a lot worse!

Thanks for next time.

Back