1974 Viscount Supabike build thread sort of..

My associates @grantoury and @Woz "suggested" I do a build thread for this bike 200-1784002223.gif

@Imlach just watched to see what happened. giphy-3394888147.gif

I like the underdog. I like Carrera's and Al Carter's, moving on. I didn't need another bike, let alone two of the f***ing things. Sometimes they just choose you.

I saw an advert here for the Supabike and a Deore 18AX tourer. I replied and said yes please, then told Jo 🥵
"You don't need another f***ing bike"
Me "But, but"
"Choose one then"
Me "Tourer"

I reply to the advert and pull out of the sale of the Supabike. Jem is a lovely bloke who didn't want to post. We all know it's a massive pain in the a**e posting a bike. I somehow convinced him to post said tourer in PM. Then he wrote back with an fantastic offer and postage on both. Obviously I'm weak and said yes. I then had to tell Jo 🥵
"I bought both bikes Jo"
Jo "Bob what the f**k is wrong with you?!"
I grin at her "We don't have enough life left to discuss that fully"
Jo "You're such a w@nker!"
Normality returns to the Guiness household :p

I eagerly awaited both and I wasn't disappointed. Jem had packed them well enough to survive the nuclear apocalypse. In the boxes were a magazine with the Deore 18AX road test. The best though was the new and never fitted Tange re call fork, Tange headset, Dia Compe cable hanger. All of the paper work was present. The voucher for reclaiming the cost of fitting the fork, fantastic.
P1060207.JPG

Full disclosure, it's nearly built and I'm truly s**t at taking pictures as I go.
Before anyone get their knickers in a twist about the "Death fork" The Supabike has the Mk3 fork which has had no reported breakages. So yes I'm riding on it. That said they raced successfully including cyclo cross on the Mk1 and Mk2 fork with no problems. The viscount's did well in racing beating many racing hand built thoroughbreds.
2763700474_651434ac36_o.jpg

The Supabike was top of the range and £235 in 1974. Catalogue says sprints, price list says 27" wheels. Mine came with 27" Mavic Module and Campag hubs. I think these were original as the wear and patina point to this. The spokes were past it. I have fitted 27" Mavic MA2 with Campag hubs. I know the MA rims are later, but better on this than in the loft. Milremo finishing kit, black Dura Ace. I'm using SR SP11 pedals for comfort. No point in having an uncomfortable bike and my foot post m/c accident doesn't cope with quills very well.

Pictures as I got it. Viscount super bike21.jpg Viscount super bike22.jpg
As far as I've got P1060323.JPG P1060335.JPG

SB.jpg pricelist2.jpg
If you got this far, well done :p

Last edited:
I remember selling and servicing the Aerospace range back in the 70s. I still have nightmares about trying to deal with those bottom brackets.

Back