The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

I guess I need to post my STS DH here. Looks to be almost all original. Saddle doesn't seem original but that's about all I could find.

I think I'm keeping all the period correct decals on it. Keeping it vintage.

Attachments

• value.jpg
    value.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 17
  • value1.jpg
    value1.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 15
I decided to Kill Kenny and remove all the non original stickers.....

Attachments

• stickers1.jpg
    stickers1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 10
  • stickers2.jpg
    stickers2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 10
I'm in the final stages of finishing my STS - will post pics soon, but I got a question. I need to give a new look to the thermoplastic part.
I lightly sanded with 5000 to even some markings and prepare it for any kind of treatment/coating, and I'm waiting for the decals also.
What do you suggest to use? And do it before or after applying decals? Thanks!

I picked up a 97 STS DH frame a while ago that looked like it had spent some time sat outside abandoned, it did have the AC chain device, some White Brothers forks (beyond rescue), X-Lite seat post, what look to be Azonic copy stem and bars and a few XT bits. I checked it for cracks and looked to be fine, at the bargain price it wasn't going to be the end of the world if I found something. Unfortunately when I got it home and cleaned it i found a crack at the top of the down tube side of the BB lug. I have decided to build it up anyway, here are a few photos.

I do have a few questions if anyone can help? All my retro builds so far have been hardtails and I didn't have an STS back in the day.

• It doesn't have disc mounts on the rear, I have seen a few photos of other 97 STS DH that didn't have them and are running XTR V brakes but the catalogue shows the Formula disc brakes. What is the deal with this? Are the ones without earlier?
  • Crack in the BB lug on the top of the downtube section – I am guessing it cant be welded as the heat will melt the thermoplastic? I have seen people drill holes to stop the crack, also liquid metal an option? I am not going to ride it in anger and it will likely be up on the wall but would be good to fix.
  • I picked up a reasonably priced DHO, it’s not bad but the steerer is a tad short, I have spare steerer tubes from some Judy XC’s and SL’s but has anyone swapped the press fit steerer tubes over? I know you’re not supposed to but I see a few have done it. Alternatively if anyone has a DHO crown and steerer let me know
  • I have seen a few with the gold seat post clamps, is this of any relevance or just a retrofit?
I haven't had much time so this one has been slow progress but getting there.

Attachments

• STS DH 1.jpg
    STS DH 1.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 14
  • STS DH 2.jpg
    STS DH 2.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 13
  • STS DH 3.jpg
    STS DH 3.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 15
  • STS DH 4.jpg
    STS DH 4.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm in the final stages of finishing my STS - will post pics soon, but I got a question. I need to give a new look to the thermoplastic part.
I lightly sanded with 5000 to even some markings and prepare it for any kind of treatment/coating, and I'm waiting for the decals also.
What do you suggest to use? And do it before or after applying decals? Thanks!
I used some Ultimate Black plastic restorer off Amazon, the stuff you get to freshen up bumpers and faded plastic on cars. It worked a treat.

I picked up a 97 STS DH frame a while ago that looked like it had spent some time sat outside abandoned, it did have the AC chain device, some White Brothers forks (beyond rescue), X-Lite seat post, what look to be Azonic copy stem and bars and a few XT bits. I checked it for cracks and looked to be fine, at the bargain price it wasn't going to be the end of the world if I found something. Unfortunately when I got it home and cleaned it i found a crack at the top of the down tube side of the BB lug. I have decided to build it up anyway, here are a few photos.

I do have a few questions if anyone can help? All my retro builds so far have been hardtails and I didn't have an STS back in the day.

• It doesn't have disc mounts on the rear, I have seen a few photos of other 97 STS DH that didn't have them and are running XTR V brakes but the catalogue shows the Formula disc brakes. What is the deal with this? Are the ones without earlier?
  • Crack in the BB lug on the top of the downtube section – I am guessing it cant be welded as the heat will melt the thermoplastic? I have seen people drill holes to stop the crack, also liquid metal an option? I am not going to ride it in anger and it will likely be up on the wall but would be good to fix.
  • I picked up a reasonably priced DHO, it’s not bad but the steerer is a tad short, I have spare steerer tubes from some Judy XC’s and SL’s but has anyone swapped the press fit steerer tubes over? I know you’re not supposed to but I see a few have done it. Alternatively if anyone has a DHO crown and steerer let me know
  • I have seen a few with the gold seat post clamps, is this of any relevance or just a retrofit?
I haven't had much time so this one has been slow progress but getting there.
Anyone?

- Discmounts only on the later models.
- Crack in the BB - Well. Thats it, basically. I haven't heard of or seen anyone able to repair that kind of damage. Altough I have seen a new to me welding technique recently. Someone welded a few rust-holes in a FatChance steel frame (I think it was) using laser-welding. It didn't burn the paint so the heat was held in a very small area. Maybe this would be worth looking into? I have no idea if this is even a thing on Aluminium parts.

At the risk of reposting incorrectly - my STS being late production a bit after 1997 - admins please remove if needed, I have a suspension geometry question about my GT STS (XCR1000 era) that i am hoping the knowledgeable might be able to help with .

Back