The bike you SHOULD be riding......

I’d say the short answer is you should ride the bike that makes you want to ride.

Luckily old MTBs are very adaptable and one frame can cover many purposes depending on set up. I’ve had my Specialized since the late 80s, and although it was designed (and used) for racing, it still works for me now as bike transport which I like to ride.

C3C0D628-7F34-4150-A402-69EB369F27BB.jpeg

I’ve got sympathy with the view that says these bikes should be set up and used for their original purpose, even if that means they don’t get used much, if at all: ”if you need a comfier bike, buy one. Don’t gawk-up something that was designed to fly.”

But you get emotionally attached to old things, and I’d much rather adapt and ride than restore and store.

I’d say the short answer is you should ride the bike that makes you want to ride.

Luckily old MTBs are very adaptable and one frame can cover many purposes depending on set up. I’ve had my Specialized since the late 80s, and although it was designed (and used) for racing, it still works for me now as bike transport which I like to ride.

View attachment 643996

I’ve got sympathy with the view that says these bikes should be set up and used for their original purpose, even if that means they don’t get used much, if at all: ”if you need a comfier bike, buy one. Don’t gawk-up something that was designed to fly.”

But you get emotionally attached to old things, and I’d much rather adapt and ride than restore and store.
Nice bars. Great build. And I agree, ride the bike that doesn't make you regret going out for a ride. Put big tall bars, granny seat if it gets you riding. I can't do long stems anymore

Also my unpopular opinion is that no matter how much you play with geometry and wheel sizes and what not, it's just a bike. Rotate feeties make go round the wheelies

I think some issues might be tied up with the "image" we carry round in our heads....of ourselves our bikes our riding.

Riding a race orientated bike i feel like king of the hill.......for 20 mins! :LOL: ..........then reality and a degree of depression sets in......how crap am i at this now?....how uncomfortable is this?......why am i wasting my time with this?

Also the image of possibly a younger self....."THEY" would love this bike....its the one "THEY" drooled over in the catalogue..... What would "THEY" say if they saw you on THAT!

But lets face it.....THEY are long gone.......your what's left!

So how about we get on with some riding, on a suitable bike.....not the one you think you think you would love, but the one you need.

Plus, surley the journey is the thing....and does the weapon not need to fit the deed....not the other way round!

:) Sure you are on the right forum, suggesting everyone should get rid of their collections and now that we are riding the wrong things 🤣

Seems the same argument that has come up before and on many other forums through the years. A poplar one is classic cars, " why do you drive that old car about, modern cars are so much more comfortable, safer and nicer environments to be in" the answer of course is the very fact they are old is why they drive them, same with bikes, kind of missing the point i feel if one can not see that.

I suppose it is all subjective, claiming a certain style bike is not suitable for everyone or anyone anymore is akin to manufactures constantly telling us we need to progress, while in reality my bike does not get any worse at what it does.

I am also fortunate in that i have several bikes and like already mentioned i can pick a certain bike for a specific task, though the truth is, that as i ride my '90's race bike, even if it is only on a flat disused railway track, i enjoy it for what it is, which is the reason for buying, building and collecting them in the first place.

I don't however have any issues with putting modern parts on old bikes, if it like you said makes someone want to ride it more, that is after all a very big part of bikes in my opinion :) :cool:

Believe me i have NO intention or interest in a modern (1995 or newer in my mind) bike. The engineering standards are shockingly poor* and anyway I've still got what's left of a stash of old parts. *(Open worm can stand well back)....

I also totally agree with @mk one about the bikes for tasks.....ive got a few....and as i said, im not giving those up......but i truly think that if we are all honest...probably those over 50 say at least.....we are flogging ourselves a concept that don't really work for us any more.

So for me its more about finding a ride that works for me on a more day to day basis, that can do the things i need of it.......not reflect the things I feel it should be. Im lucky enough to have the time to ride most days, and i want to it in comfort and a bit of style!

And of course it will be retro......

Surely not to much to ask.

I think the first question has to be "whats wrong with the bikes im using now".....then possibly go from there.......I forsee a Fanken-bikes monster.....

I think it's clear that there should not be any argument about whether or not we like retro stuff and I don't see any ounce of this thread as being "get modern bikes", on the contrary I think it's a question of: should we be less antiquated about views on correct components, is there an incorrect use of a bike? I think we all have internal critiques as such, am I desecrating riding traditions by not doing ______. For me, the love of retro bikes has more to do with the frame than anything else, I love the smoothness of old steel and I enjoy experimenting with different tubesets without paying an arm and a leg. I enjoy appreciation the traditional riding styles but I also need to feel comfortable, adding risers to my bikes was a big step and it felt like I was doing something wrong. Which is nonsense. Nobody should get rid of their old retro steeds, but I think it's fair to encourage people to go beyond the indoctrinated views of "this component belongs here". Let's not forget that a huge chunk of riding old bikes is nostalgia of fads and trends.

But I am also a different form of collector, I buy frames for tubesets and interesting geometry, and I intend to make them main every day riders. But nothing against the folk that want an oem spec correct machine. I salute you for your patience in hunting down the parts, and if you like riding them as such I can only say go on. But I doubt the majority of us truly find it comfortable. There's a reason why the bike world as a whole has gone towards more upright riding positions, its just more comfortable. And all of that can be achieved old lovely retro steel.

At the end of the day its more a question of: Can I really make these changes to my beloved rides? And the answer is yes you can

I now klunkify all my rides.

I have one bike and i ride it. Same bike i had 20 yrs ago.I don´t collect bikes and even if i ever get crazy enough to do it i won´t have space nor time to collect bicycles. Bicycles are tools for health and happyness. I never sell bike parts or complete... i gave away at times whatever i was not using even though i knew it was rare. I did so because i was given out of the blue stuff i needed and still cherish. Rare stuff. A beautifull mountain bike should have dirt all over, fresh dirt. It should need replacement chains, cassettes, tires, brake blocks. It should be in constant change and not in catalog spec. Get rid of everything you don´t use and ride hard what you have.

I have one bike and i ride it. Same bike i had 20 yrs ago.I don´t collect bikes and even if i ever get crazy enough to do it i won´t have space nor time to collect bicycles. Bicycles are tools for health and happyness. I never sell bike parts or complete... i gave away at times whatever i was not using even though i knew it was rare. I did so because i was given out of the blue stuff i needed and still cherish. Rare stuff. A beautifull mountain bike should have dirt all over, fresh dirt. It should need replacement chains, cassettes, tires, brake blocks. It should be in constant change and not in catalog spec. Get rid of everything you don´t use and ride hard what you have.
Someone get a straight jacket, this one’s lost it! 🤣

Riding your bikes. Obscene.

Off topic (sort of) but I'm looking at my picture of the coyote winter bike. It's an old picture from the half way point of a ton ride to Prestatyn and back. Anyways, the reason I'm talking about it. The only bits left on it that are the same is the stem, spacers, seat post and bottle cage mounts.

Surely this is the point to riding older bikes (which i granted you this one isn't particularly) that things are easy to change. You don't like something, you aren't tied to a brand specific do dad. Standards from them weren't in the same flux they appear to be now, so you swap out that crank because you find something that tickles you pickles. Try a different brake because why not? Build new wheels, destroy a part in a rock, pick up a new one for a couple of quid.......

The parts you swap out, they go in the Bix. When the box is full enough, another bike is born.

Back