The bike you SHOULD be riding......

My 1985 Canyon is by far my most comfortable Retro ATB/MTB although to be honest it's ride-ability especially off road would be massively improved by indexed gears rather than the friction thumbies and the Dear Head kit it has right now.

1985 Claud Butler Canyon.jpg

Will I ever change them? will I F**K! :LOL:

Last edited:
I find all my P7's pretty comfortable to ride (& other similar geo Oranges) especially if I change the saddles. Most have age appropriate saddles & I can cope with them for a 10 mile or so ride.

Not retro as it's 2002 but it's same frame geometry as earlier versions & as it's a later one I've opted to build it for my needs as a bikepacking rig. Just finished changing the brakes from hydraulic disc to cable disc today so pic out of date. Rides like a dream on gravel tracks.

240622-0001.jpg

@mk one ’s mention of classic cars earlier sparked a thought; rather than a false distinction between bikes you ought to ride but can’t, and one’s you like to ride but shouldn’t, the goal could be to create a rideable version of the racing classic - viz Jaguar XKSS vs D-Type

The SS still has the racing heart and sympathetic build, but is ’practical’, with seats, luggage rack, weather protection, etc.

4D717614-002C-44EE-B8C9-777FD21F4EDF.jpeg

27651A70-F954-4D3D-B65F-5E68BDE954FC.jpeg

Sorry, can't see how I can fit my 3 weans into it.
Transporting a bike might also be problematic.
Will stick to my van.

@mk one ’s mention of classic cars earlier sparked a thought; rather than a false distinction between bikes you ought to ride but can’t, and one’s you like to ride but shouldn’t, the goal could be to create a rideable version of the racing classic - viz Jaguar XKSS vs D-Type

The SS still has the racing heart and sympathetic build, but is ’practical’, with seats, luggage rack, weather protection, etc.

View attachment 644149

View attachment 644150
S%&t! Beautifull...

Doctor Bond and Peachy, those are lovely bikes, this thread makes sense. What is the point of having a bike you don't/can't ride? I get historic bikes. I will never have the money for those, so mine must work. I'm not 25 anymore.

Anyway they don't drive very well and the average 1.6 zetec turbo astra thingy will burn you up, cost 10% and do twice as many miles to a gallon......and with bugger all windscreen you won't be unable to see the road or the admiring looks as you sail by.......

Last edited:
🙂 probably more old bikes dumped in canals than cars though :LOL:

I am currently building up an early Kona with modern parts, going singlespeed, wide bars and short stem, just to blast around on, again for a certain purpose. Nothing for me rides as well through my local singletrack as my race bikes, of course getting there and back can be a bit of a different experience, but there i feel lies an issue, compromise, which still raises its head even with todays bikes. Now i have modern bikes which are more all day comfortable, though not as fun on the singletrack, so for me it still is a decision based on what i am wanting from the ride.

I think as mentioned that people also collect for different reasons, whether that be preservation of memories or the bike itself. In that respect aesthetics play a big part in bikes i build and collect. I am sure my Ti Bolt would feel a bit more friendly with risers and bar ends, but no, just no! :oops: 🤣

Back