Suntour XC Microdrive is it worth it?

Hardly a problem since every drive train from Shimano apart from XTR followed the MD philosophy, even now.
Even road drive trains went this way.

True, but Suntour rolled that dice first. I'm sure the increased wear was very minimal to be fair.

+1 here for those X-press shifters. I thought they were absolutely terrible (I wasn't particularly a fan of Shimano's offerings at the time either mind).

MD cassettes were made of cheese .the teeth would snap if you looked at them funny.. 11-24 think it was. My 92 SM1000 went back to Harry Halls 3 times under warranty..they gave up in the end and swapped it out for a very nice Kingsbury with a screw on freewheel.

I am running Suntour XC X-press shifter on a Shimano cassette, with a Suntour Radius rear mech on my Marin Stinson and it works really well.

It was pretty and a nice alternative to XT

The grease guard hubs were good

verlicchi-cockpit-jpg.110990

rudy-project-verlicchi-jpg.110980

suntour-xc-pro-chainset-jpg.110981

My experience, mainly. The Comp groupset.
Comparing to others at the time, circa 92/93
Good, sturdy reassuring changes, on setup I had a good clunk on, shifter fine.
Shimano's was always a bit more flimsy change.

Hubs lovely, only really used thumbies and I'm not a fan of thumbies (downside), X-Press seemed a bit poor but I don't remember them too much, RF was poor too. RF+ a bit better but still poor shifters. (comparing to m900 that are pretty shite shifters).

The one big downside, cassettes need to match the freehub body, which needs it's own rear hub.

Chainset are nice, front mech top and standard pull is nice. Harder to get the granny ring, can mod CD rings, but steel one is probably still running well.

Chain is Sachs/sedis so great.

Go for it, unless you're the sort of person who must also get the pedals, headset and seatpost and bb.
You mention Sachs/Sedis chains. Do you know which particular chain from these brands is recommended for 7 speed Microdrive? Alternatively, is there a readily available modern equivalent that is recommended?

I've been building an XC Pro MD group set over the years for a Nishiki Alien - only missing the pedals now (but they are far too expensive for my pockets!). I'm shocked at the prices parts are commanding now, compared with 10 years ago when I started. As others have said, clunky but nice quality, far better aesthetically than Shimano I think. Got some XC Expert too but nowhere near complete.
Is it worth it - yes!

You mention Sachs/Sedis chains. Do you know which particular chain from these brands is recommended for 7 speed Microdrive? Alternatively, is there a readily available modern equivalent that is recommended?
Actually I could be wrong thinking about it some many years later.
Suntour chains were made in Japan so could be....
Sedis/Sedissport are made in French iirc.
But everyone just used Sedis anyway, so M50/M55/R80 if they are the correct ones for 92-93?

Else AP01/02 or AP11/12 which I think are 92/93.

I wonder if DID made them (they're Japan) , I don't think Suntour made too much of their actual parts, could be wrong they may have made the chains. Does anyone remember DID.

Modern KMC/SRAM etc get them 7, 8 speed or try 9 if you want.

SRAM being the people who absorbed Sachs, who themselves absorbed Sedis...

As for Suntour, it’s nice kit but struggles to keep up with DX or XT imo. XC Pro shifters are nice though and the front mech’s work well.

Latest posts

Back