Spending, say, a grand, on a bike to ride, in order to have less bikes.

That certainly seems great value, and great spec for the money in fairness.
Reading through your posts, had a similar dilemma. With culling/selling off some of my old bikes, down sizing to accommodate a few new bikes that obviously get used far more. Anyway, good luck, that On-One appears a real bargain 👍😂

32t chainring will be way too small out there, in that real world - just watching other riders out and about, they are right at the bottom of the cassette just pootling. Other than that it seems ok

Yes did not notice that it had a 32t chainring, valid point. Plus living in the same neck of the woods as Captain Stupido, that would most likely need to be changed, hills galore in South Devon 😂👍

44CECA6C-E72D-43D0-8463-4E43C9C1E27D.jpeg

Yep, in the real world here my big chainring barely sees the chain. There is very little flat or gently sloping terrain. When I am coming down a hill it's brakes that are my main concern.

I reckon it's small enough to get me up most of the hills around, but if anything I'd be worried about having a low enough gear, not the other way round.

AE642852-B801-4C3D-88B3-925A5AC54930.jpeg

my own 32t 700c bike is geared way off for even just nipping to the shops. Any speed and its flailing legs with a 32t/ 11t

CassetteSRAM PG-1210 Eagle 12 Speed Cassette / 11-50

that SRAM cassette only gives you 11t and even with the extra diameter of the 29er tyres, it wont be much better

We're going round in circles here...

Rough min/max gearing on the On One and the Giant. I might have got the crank length and tyre sizes slightly wrong.

View attachment 581315

There's not a whole lot in it IMO. Lowest gear is the same, top on the 1x is the equivalent of 2nd from top on the 3x7 bike (46 front, 14 rear). Yes you lose a bit of potential top speed but not much and I'd expect the simple shifting and neatly spread ratios would more than make up for the lack of absolute top speed. I have a fairly narrow spread 1x8 setup on my Clockwork and I love the simplicity of it. Gears that frustrate me are ones that are awkward to shift or weirdly spaced, I can live without macho high gears if I know I can climb all day long.

View attachment 581316

Gearing can be a personal thing, got to factor in many things. Type of local terrain, style of riding, injuries, fitness, some people like to spin more… never ending..
As for hills, its approximately a 100-120 foot of climbing for every mile I ride locally. So if I do a 50 mile ride it’s generally between 5000-6000 foot of climbing. Have a 20% ramp leaving my village! 🤣.

Back