Specialized M2 Info Thread/Serial Registry

Hi Neko,
this is the serial number on my Specy M2 team. Is the frame built in the 90 year? Thanks

Attachments

• M2 team serial number.jpeg
    M2 team serial number.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 15
  • M2 team .jpeg
    M2 team .jpeg
    658.1 KB · Views: 15
  • M2 team 1.jpeg
    M2 team 1.jpeg
    658.7 KB · Views: 14
Hi Neko,
this is the serial number on my Specy M2 team. Is the frame built in the 90 year? Thanks
I think this has been repainted. The paint looks too thick, and the decal placement is way off. It should be a 1991 M2 or M2 Team, built in 1990.

I've got an interesting very early S-Works M2 Team for the hive mind here to mull over. Judging by the serial was made in 1990. Stamped with serial number 90T00880.

Decals feature M2 Team Issue, S logo head tube but without "works", arc en ciel globe logo 1990 World Championship win with Neds signature, and Duralcan logo. It's decaled near identical to the '92 advert for the elusive 500, seen earlier in this thread. The DT and TT placement closely mirror member Matley 64's frame pictured above, and serial numbers aren't far off from one another. It does not have the normal ST decals found on these, but has an older Specialized logo in place instead. It does not appear to be a repaint from what I can tell, but mine still very closely resembles the limited '92 release. Logos all appear to be original from factory and under clear coat, from what I can see.

Other noteworthy features: Riveted cable guides, DT guide is larger than later models and further down tube, HT/DT gusset is smaller than later models, 1" head tube, original matching 1" threaded DD rigid cro-mo steel fork, seat post clamp is squared off, chain stay brace appears larger diameter than later models, Kryptonite sponsorship(?) decals. Sadly the paints rather rough in many areas, but I've heard this was quite common with the earliest M2 Team Issues due to a lack of primer and poor paint adhesion to the M2 alloy.

So I'm thinking either a proto, a very early release, sponsor/true team frame, or made in 1990 to be sold in 1991?

Planning to find a new home for it. It seems to be a rather rare and early example, though paint and finish is certainly "survivor condition". What do you all think it's worth in it's current state? Thanks!!

IMG_3029.JPG
IMG_3032.JPG IMG_3033.JPG IMG_3034.JPG IMG_3035.JPG IMG_3036.JPG IMG_3037.JPG IMG_3038.JPG IMG_3040.JPG IMG_3041.JPG

Last edited:
Back