So many bike sites seem to loathe "retro". Why?

The only cycling hate I’ve ever received (& hate’s probably too strong a term) is from my road cycling associates, they’re a predominantly 50 something crowd who are constantly banging on about the new this and the new that, whilst scoffing at my “vintage” 2005 frame with its 2015 group.
Funny how our group rides always seem to average about the same speed though…

Last edited:
The only cycling hate I’ve ever received (& hate’s probably too strong a term) is from my road cycling associates, they’re a predominantly 50 something crowd who are constantly banging on about the new this and the new that, whilst scoffing at my “vintage” 2005 frame with its 2015 group.
Funny how are group rides always seem to average about the same speed though…
And I bet it's funny how the retro rider just knows how to fix all the road size problems of the others!? I've always noticed that I'm the toolkit on wheels 😄

And I bet it's funny how the retro rider just knows how to fix all the road size problems of the others!? I've always noticed that I'm the toolkit on wheels 😄
100% true!

Funny how are group rides always seem to average about the same speed though…

While I don’t often ride with any organised or competitive type groups, I’ve had good and bad experiences. I remember turning up with my GT Edge to a ride with a friend who was part of a club and had other club riders there. One came over and looked in disbelief at my GT, shaking his head while I got it out of the boot. He went on to lift it up to see how heavy it was like it was some sort of check for being suitable for riding/keeping up with them. It was.

The other experience was much more positive and was when time trialling at a local trial. It was early days for me getting back in to cycling and I had built a fixed gear out of an old Thompson touring frame as it was all I could afford. This was in a field of carbon stealth machines and I had questions and compliments from both superbike owners as well as the old guys about my bike and it’s build. I think for some there was a bit of nostalgia as it was mostly 1980s kit on it. For others it was genuine interest that a simple and cheap old bike could be semi competitive - it had cost probably less than most of the others water bottle setups!

That wasn’t meant as a personal attack on anyone. By the way.

I’m just passionate about certain things pertaining to digital life.

But I certainly don’t mean to hijack an otherwise positive thread about how rad it is to talk about and share bikes on the internet!

So yeah, I’ll move on.

It does seem annoying that Facebook hijackerd a once thriving vintage forum scene. Much like how Instagram hijacked a once thriving real world experience!

What happened to MTBR? It really is just a case of everyone switching to posting on Instagram and Facebook?

Bummer.

I like long threads; lots of pictures; lots of words. I like learning, talking. Not just looking at and liking pictures.
I don't think you hijacked anything. I'm one of the last human beings w/o a cell phone! No joke - and I'm not technologically "maladroit"!

This got to be one of the most interesting threads I have come across so far here in that it blends two very intresting topics: retro loathing from bike sites and the politics of personal choices.

The way see it, I don't see bike sites loathing retro. On the contrary, just like several others have mentioned already retro is becoming a hot word that the bike industry (or a certain branch of it) and bike shops use to lure in clients. At least, that's my feel for Europe. Effectively, brands like Crust and Rivenell, or posts that show up in Radavist (and even in bikepacking.com some times) are heavily influence by retro bikes of the 90s. Crust has released bikes with quill stems, rivendell never switched to headsets to start with while Radavist documents really nice retro rigs from the Pro's Closet. Ultraromance paired with FTW to release an ATB too and soon a gravel bike.

To younger generations these brands are very appealing. I have lost count of how may restomods of old 26" MTBs that are now used as commuters I have seen here in Belgium in the last years. Their number, especially in big cities, keeps increasing. These are bikes that have been repurposed and although they are not speced in their original configuration they are very different from what most big brands sell you at their stores.

This all to say that retro is not loathed in the bike industry. Instead it has been used by brands that are seen to belong on the "alternative" spectrum of things.

I think the industry goes from modern (everything new) back to bringing retro parts and specs and the reverse in an attemp to keep itself relevant and appealing to clients. It's like the fashion industry, you need to keep reinventing the wheel and repurpose / reintegrate old concepts in your new products if you are to survive / sell.

That's my 5 cents a year and a few months late in case anyone cares! : )

Back