Skip find Saracen Hard Trax 19 inch

If you saw a bike in a skip that was worth saving, would you :

• Knock the nearest door and enquire about it's availability.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Have a look around to see if the coast is clear, then grab it and scarper.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Just leave it as it must be in there for a good reason.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
So far I have never come across a Marin OOODGF GRAPE. I am a sure that the GRAPE model is a fine one. Just never heard of it before.....

(damn this went to page 2 - you need to refer back to the photo....)

I like the shifters it comes with on the bike.
They are my favourite, 'boring' but 'reliable' shimano shifter that have a nice index to them.
and don't cost rip off money.

Re:

Elgridge Grape fgs ??? :LOL:

The shifter units are well made and sound solid when used.

I've had the idea of kitting it out in 90's Alivio as i've got some en route.
Will wait and see.

Corblimeyguv":h8hyvmlv said:
jonboy":h8hyvmlv said:
Good work! You can now put that on Ebay for £300....

Oooohh synical ! :LOL:

I have 3 projects coming soon from this site via various sources, so I would let this go to someone who'd look after it. It's had a lucky break with me and my brother saving it, so it deserves a good home.

I'm not the 'type' to do that to be honest with you, i'm more concerned as to where it goes to than monetry gain.

I wasn't suggesting you would do that, but giving a nod towards what seems to be a trend of lockdown that old bike are appearing on ebay for silly money.... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=411412

jonboy":2gb47clz said:
Corblimeyguv":2gb47clz said:
jonboy":2gb47clz said:
Good work! You can now put that on Ebay for £300....

Oooohh synical ! :LOL:

I have 3 projects coming soon from this site via various sources, so I would let this go to someone who'd look after it. It's had a lucky break with me and my brother saving it, so it deserves a good home.

I'm not the 'type' to do that to be honest with you, i'm more concerned as to where it goes to than monetry gain.

I wasn't suggesting you would do that, but giving a nod towards what seems to be a trend of lockdown that old bike are appearing on ebay for silly money.... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=411412

It's ok, I guessed you were pulling my leg but what you say is true !
Demand has outstripped supply therefore prices rise.
I've lots going on atm, not that i'm complaining. I'm looking forward to see how it performs ;-)

Re:

1998 for the Saracen; full details are in the catalogue on the site: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 8.pdf.html - the first year of 'Team Saracen' on everything.
I had the 1997 bike, and while tough, they are HEAVY.

Interesting though, I think it had a cassette rear originally, so interesting to see the skipped one had a threaded freewheel; maybe a replacement? (I went through two rear wheels in the space of 6 months 'jumping' off 1ft drops back in youthdom!)
Nice find!

Re: Re:

Osella":zfwta3p9 said:
1998 for the Saracen; full details are in the catalogue on the site: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 8.pdf.html - the first year of 'Team Saracen' on everything.
I had the 1997 bike, and while tough, they are HEAVY.

Interesting though, I think it had a cassette rear originally, so interesting to see the skipped one had a threaded freewheel; maybe a replacement? (I went through two rear wheels in the space of 6 months 'jumping' off 1ft drops back in youthdom!)
Nice find!

Thanks for the info :)

The rear wheel is a bolt on job, probably a replacement cos it was a screw-on cassette and it was destroyed.

Back