** Show us your Modern/retro Kona **

Here's a 2000 Cinder Cone I picked up at the height of Covid -- I'd found a '98 Explosif in parlous condition and was about to drive up to Sydney to fetch it when the Cinder Cone frame popped up on Gumtree for a good price, so was able to pick up a twofer. I wasn't super-keen on an alu frame but it was in pretty nice condition with the cool graphics of the time, and in a size I could ride.

For the following two years the frame lived under the spare bed while I tinkered with a range of other projects -- but I was slowly accumulating parts and this week I put as much together as I could.

Funnily enough, many of the parts came in a haul advertised online as an "LX mini groupset" which later seemed to have come from a 2000 Cinder Cone! But by the time I realised this, I'd used some of the parts on another build. All parts except headset, BB and tyres are second-hand.

So, here's where we are:

Fork: Project 2 -- I have a decent Marzocchi that would fit but not sure it's worth the extra weight
Headset: FSA Orbit in green
Wheels: Shimano LX -- the front radially spoked
Bottom Bracket: FSA
Cranks: Race Face Ride XC
Ring: Shimano Zee 36t. There's a Spot bash ring on there at the moment but it's too small so will have to change that.
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX 9-speed
Cassette: Shimano LX 9-speed
Rear gear shifter: Shimano Alivio 9-speed (will upgrade later)
V-brakes: Avid 1.0
Brake levers: Shimano Alivio -- nice, simple and not very heavy.
Seatpost: Kona
Seat: WTB
Tyres: Michelin Country Rock
Stem: Easton EA70
Bars: Easton Carbon Monkeylite 25.4mm -- these have been trimmed and are a tad narrow but will do for now.

Still to do:

Fit chain and adjust gear shifting
Pedals
Replace bash ring
Decide on whether to go 3x up front -- LX derailleur, with shifter still to locate.

So far I'm happy with it -- it feels pretty light and I think will go well locally where riding is mostly fire roads accessed by tarmac.

mine.jpg IMG_7399-2.jpg

Attachments

• xc01.jpg
    xc01.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 4
  • kona thumb 2-2.jpg
    kona thumb 2-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • headset-2.jpg
    headset-2.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here's a '95 Hei Hei built up as a lite "gravel" bike.

Original '95 decals, P2 triple butted fork, ti bar, XTR M950 goodies, XT hubs. Only thing I think I might change is for an O-beam Ti seatpost, but it rides very nicely as it is.

Attachments

• 95HH.jpg
    95HH.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back