Show me your URT's

Good read, but I have to disagree. :LOL:
As I said. As he says. Not a downhill bike. Even more so, if you just sit on the bike without tuning the rebound to your weight and drive characteristics. The Mantra is very unforgiving in this respect, I agree to that.
He said that he was levered out of the seat by braking hard. Ha! Thats the usual situation you get confronted with when trying a full susser for the first time. Many bikes do that. Especially with rebound set too fast. May well be, that the original elastomere dampener of the mantra caused that problem.

I still like the matra for beeing lite and helping me to go uphill faster than on my hardtail. I would go faster downhill, too. Just not at the very tricky trails.

What he is right about thou is the head angle. It is too steep. Using a mutch more modern 100mm fork does help here. Thats why I am using those psylos in the first place. The very short stem also helps shifting you weight further back. With this configuration the mantra is a very fun bike. :D

Re:

I'll be hunting down a Catamount...

Now disrespect to Klein owners, but I'd rather nail my gentlemen's fruit to a plank than have one.

al.

:LOL: ;)

Catamount: First time I heard of those. One to add to the weirdo-sweet-spot list of mine.

Now I think about it: Maybe I should start collecting all sweet spot tech frames.

Re:

More bikes sporting the Patented "Sweet Spot" technology devised by John Costellano..and taken up by a lot of brands

an IBIS U.R.T turns a sandwich into a banquet

Attachments

• Breezer FS.jpg
    Breezer FS.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 461
  • twister_01.jpg
    twister_01.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 460
  • controltech.JPG
    controltech.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 461
  • ibis-szazbo-specs-szabo1.jpg
    ibis-szazbo-specs-szabo1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 401
  • Ibis Szasbo.jpg
    Ibis Szasbo.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 401
Re:

and for the nerds..

Attachments

• patent B.jpg
    patent B.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 450
  • patent A.jpg
    patent A.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 450
Re: Re:

al":2evwy81g said:
I'll be hunting down a Catamount...

Now disrespect to Klein owners, but I'd rather nail my gentlemen's fruit to a plank than have one.

al.

Totally modern 650b, not sure if this is strictly a URT but does have the same attributes as one

So I guess the URT design isn't as bankrupt as some would claim.

:LOL:

Attachments

• 650B-Ram-Bike.jpg
    650B-Ram-Bike.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 428
Re:

And then you have heavily modified URT's that get turned back into semi's (see below pic)

which lets face is the reason why so many scoff at URT's, they lend themselves to cheap mass production
.....which in turn leads to a zillion bags of shite rattling around the streets.

A decent URT with a proper shock is actually a pleasure to ride, granted the suspension dept isn't as good as more modern rigs but then things have moved on in almost every area

Brakes have moved from canti to V's to disc
Suspension has moved from Elastomers to Springs / Oil / Air combo's
Headsets from puny one inch affairs to devolution
Frames from Steel to Carbon fibre
Wheels from 26 to 29 inch
Bars from flat to risers
Gears from 3 x 8 to zillions .....or just one :?

Attachments

• Modified URT.jpg
    Modified URT.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 405
Re: Re:

Retro Spud":3qzuifzs said:
And then you have heavily modified URT's that get turned back into semi's

I've ridden worse.

al.

Back