Should I attempt an upgrade? (-97 team marin)

Martinsson

Retro Newbie
Hello all, first post for me on retrobike and it is a question, well a couple of question to be honest.

I have a -97 team marin which has been in my possession since ~2005, and it is fully functional albeit a bit worn on the components (original).

Around 2008 I swapped out the suspension fork with a ridgid surly (can't remember the model) as I primarily rode on roads, gravel and very nice trails.

I really like the the feeling of that bike but I have some concerns regarding the age of the frame even if there is no visible rust, dents or cracks, just some paint scuffing and normal usage wear.

To the question section :)

Is frame fatigue and internal rust (not visible) something that can be investigated by a skilled bike workshop or simmillar? Just want to get a bit of assurance the condition of the frame is ok for its age and that there are no major issues under the surface.

In your opinion, given that the frame ok, what do you think I should I do with it? it would be fun to keep it going and use it abit more, I would like to keep it rigid and as light as possible.

A new light and suspension corrected ridgid fork? New components, stem, seat post, handlebars etc?

On the topic of components, I would assume finding new good parts for a bike this old requires some form of degree in forensic science and history? (headsets, forks, etc.)

And finally, in your opinion, is it worth doing an upgrade? or am I just dreaming crazy here?

I bit of a beginner at this, although I have hade some decent bikes I my day I have never attempted restoration/upgrades before, please have this in mind when reading my questions.

PS. Sorry about the crazy photos, it's dark and dusty In the attic, I will attempt getting some better ones shortly.

Attachments

• 20240304_155740.jpg
    20240304_155740.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240304_155755.jpg
    20240304_155755.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240304_155813.jpg
    20240304_155813.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240304_155819.jpg
    20240304_155819.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 44
Forgot to mention, I also have a -92 Gary Fisher hookooekoo (that name...) which is in really good condition, thinking about selling it to finance the upgrade of the team marin, if it is feasable to do so that is (questions in first post).

PS - again withe crappy pictures...

Attachments

• 20240304_155658.jpg
    20240304_155658.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240304_155729.jpg
    20240304_155729.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 12
Check the frame for cracks, or unusal noises when ridden. Remove the seatpost, turn the bike upside down, no rust coming out-->you're all good. I'd swap the seatpost to a respected brand' titanium one and woud try to find a suspension corrected triple-butted Spinner or Ritchey (Tange-made) Logic set of forks (rare, but lighter and springier than the Surly) for comfort & bling. I'd guess your frame is not featherlight like under 1.7 kg or so-more like 1.9-2 kg so not weak at all.

If fatigue does matter to you I'd also replace the stem+handlebars for safety reasons only -again a nice Ti version of the handlebars would do wonders. It depends on your budget really, these bikes are easily upgradeable, however you're already using already the cult M950 stuff so not much to do about it. Boutique brands can be hard to find and longevity/functionality vs. price ratio usually suffers badly. 3x8 sp. parts is easy to find just don't be a snob and you can have cheap&cheerful stuff.

Steel Marins ride great. They are light, compliant and rugged.

I modded a Hawk Hill and of all the bikes in the garage it is by far my favorite. I urge you to do the same without a second thought. Add a 1x for inexpensive reliability and V-brakes for safety. It will be the epitome of practicality.

As above. You are really really unlikely to have any issues with that frame, ive had ones in far worse condition that have cleaned up fine.

Again, as above, find a pair of marin rockstar forks. They will be the ones labelled 730g or earlier 750g .....these are a lovely fork, well made and will change the handling over those you have.

Components are far easier to work out on an older bike like this as there were far less " standards"....there's an oxymoron if i ever saw it!🤣

But to be frank you have some top kit, so chain, cassette, rings, blocks if worn and just a strip, clean, protect, grease, reassemble.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, I will definitely consider them all, having been away from this interest for quite a while I have some studying to do (including terminology).

Right now I'm also pondering where to turn for new components, living in Sweden may mean less local options for this kind of project.

Most retailers and shops here are big franchises pushing carbon spaceship tech stuff, not much oldschool/retro mtb knowledge around in those places nowadays I would assume, but I have the resources and knowledge i need right here at retrobike to see me through, very grateful for that.

I will check the frame as per instructions and look around for new components, I may post additional questions concerning this as I progress, right now I don't even know where to turn but that will become clear i'm sure.

Big thaks once again, nice place this, should have come here earlier.

If you need parts, just post up what you want in the " wanted" section of the forum....the boys and girls on here have sheds heaving with toot needing a new home 🤣

That Team Marin has lovely components on them, I'd take the bike apart and deep clean / inspect everything.
Check the BB and axles on inner workings and re-assemble, that's a heck of a bike and deserves the love.
It's not hard and not alot of work either, you just need the right tools and youtube really.

Thank you, I will definitely consider keeping the shifters, front and rear derailleurs as well as the shifters them selves, even if they are worn beyond recognition (or so I thought) they may still keep going for some time yet, break pads, wires and leavers will get a bit more attention as that is a safety thing, as well as stem and handlebars for the same reason.

Fork, that's tricky, the rockstar options are for sure interesting but was this bike (frame geo) initially intended to be ridgid? (assuming that the rosckstar forks are not suspension compensated?) I also looked current line up from spinner but they did not seem to have and ridgid options in their present lineup, and Ritchey is a bit on the steep side moneywise, I'll see what I can find used, perhaps even daring to utilize the wanted sections of retro bike :)

Another thing, the bike is (no feels) very lightweight and responsive, very energy efficient, and I wonder if those characteristics can be taken further when looking at new components (fork, handlebars, stem, chain, cassette, sadle, tires etc.) and it would be nice if weight could be a metric of consideration in my choices to a point, that point being as long as it does not become ridiculously expensive or that i clashes severely with the age of the bike in terms of esthetics.

I do not mind it looking worn/used, it is an old bike after all, as long as it is as clean, functional and safe as can be given its age, to be honest I would prefer it to look its age (as in well used) as long as its characteristics and function is as intact as much as one can hope for, I hope this does not constitute heresy, if so I apologize, and perhaps in time I will come around to seeing it differently and that will be another fun and interesting project.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, I will definitely consider them all, having been away from this interest for quite a while I have some studying to do (including terminology).

Right now I'm also pondering where to turn for new components, living in Sweden may mean less local options for this kind of project.

Most retailers and shops here are big franchises pushing carbon spaceship tech stuff, not much oldschool/retro mtb knowledge around in those places nowadays I would assume, but I have the resources and knowledge i need right here at retrobike to see me through, very grateful for that.

I will check the frame as per instructions and look around for new components, I may post additional questions concerning this as I progress, right now I don't even know where to turn but that will become clear i'm sure.

Big thaks once again, nice place this, should have come here earlier.
Here, parts, advice, comedy of realising you will likely end up with more bikes and spares, and parts you remember from schooldays, but now may be better able to afford.. its a rabbit hole but a fantastic one. Welcome, and as others have said, you Marin has some of the best kit Shimano ever made on it..
Personally I don't like 1x on retro bikes, but that frame is quite modern looking... would I take off that kit to fit 1x no way!
Ive used Marin rockstar forks on other bikes as they are excellent forks with decent steering but I have fitted them as they have excellent comfort charecteristics, very forgiving forks.
For a Marin, personally I wouldnt bother looking at other forks, if you can get them the correct length.. again ask away someone here will have the answer pretty much everytime!
Seatposts and stems are mostly cheaper and compromised on factory builds for sensible reasons, so for weight and bling, those are sensible things to look at.
Even looking at tyres and brake blocks can make a massive difference to how the bike rides and stops... enjoy the site and ask away.

Back