Shogun 'Dad Bike' - gRaVeL cOnVeRsIoN

Cheers @nstarmore!

@joglo - I appreciate your thoughts. Just curious, what crank would you use?

If I am honest, the 105 cranks are not quite to my tastes either. If I didn't already have these in the parts bin, I would have probably tried to hunt down something like the FSA Gossamer (in their earlier MegaExo form). I use a set on my daily which, ~10,000km later, have more than proven themsevles. In my mind, 5-bolt matches styling better but they're a 'modern' crank that spins on an external BB. They also have hollow axle you can see right through which is a detail I've alwasy enjoyed about Shimano's HT2 MTB cranksets.

Unlike in the UK where these were quite easy to source s/h, I've had a little more difficulty finding them here in Australia. Praxis Alba would be another option but I'm not familiar with the M30 BB (and I'd require tools to suit etc).

Cheers!

Just curious, what crank would you use?
yeah, that's a good question,
first of all, I'm maybe not very open minded, but also don't see a technical reason for not using a square BB,
and secondly I'm a bit uninspired and therefore always using simple and obvious combination which typically work well.

That means my first thought looking at this light and bright blue frame was, this would work well with all silver polished components and skinwalls.
A very basic classic scheme, something which can't go wrong, e.g. used this with my Saracen a while ago

So I would have used a Standard MTB crank, like XT, ideally still with 110BCD, because meanwhile there are also affordable NW chain rings available (which aren't for compact MTB bcd)
Maybe something a bit more fancy like an Middleburn, or something with with 4arm BCD104 spider like STX RC from 1998/9, to use even more cheap NW chain rings.

Just, my builds do get mostly nice, but a bit similar and maybe a bit boring 😒
So please go ahead and do what ever you think is right.

Maybe let's move on, what are your plans with regards to the rear mech? Do you plan to use a modern wide range cassette and 10+ gears?
Just this limits already choices and you will result in a derailleur in black and ugly (in my human opinion) anyhow.

I've done a lot of hacks, using 10 speed 11-36 cassettes with old rear mech, just to keep the classic style consequently.
https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/2761181 or https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/attachments/20200916_185119-jpg.1117842/
You can get it work, but not as stress free as with a modern derailleur...

BTW the first hit when just googling "FSA Gossamer" was even more shocking as the 105 crank :oops:

But the version on your Daily looks indeed good.👍

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
yeah, that's a good question,
first of all, I'm maybe not very open minded, but also don't see a technical reason for not using a square BB,
and secondly I'm a bit uninspired and therefore always using simple and obvious combination which typically work well.

That means my first thought looking at this light and bright blue frame was, this would work well with all silver polished components and skinwalls.
A very basic classic scheme, something which can't go wrong, e.g. used this with my Saracen a while ago

So I would have used a Standard MTB crank, like XT, ideally still with 110BCD, because meanwhile there are also affordable NW chain rings available (which aren't for compact MTB bcd)
Maybe something a bit more fancy like an Middleburn, or something with with 4arm BCD104 spider like STX RC from 1998/9, to use even more cheap NW chain rings.
The Saracen is lovely. DX is perhaps my favourite groupset of all time. Very well done!

I actually have a Stridsland 94BCD chainring that I'm itching to use on a (nice) project but I have neither the crankset, or the project for it.

Yet... :LOL:

Who knows, that chainring plus a sweet old square taper crankset might end up on this project!

What are your plans with regards to the rear mech? Do you plan to use a modern wide range cassette and 10+ gears?
Just this limits already choices and you will result in a derailleur in black and ugly (in my human opinion) anyhow.

I've done a lot of hacks, using 10 speed 11-36 cassettes with old rear mech, just to keep the classic style consequently.
https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/2761181 or https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/attachments/20200916_185119-jpg.1117842/
You can get it work, but not as stress free as with a modern derailleur...

You'll be pleased to hear that I'll be running a silver derailleur; a used but servicable XT M761.
I'm somewhat locked into 9-speed for now, owing ot an index-only* bar end shifter I kept from the Marin project. With a friction shifter, one is less limited by compatibility / cable pull and could potentially use a 10+speed clutched rear derailleur. For now however, I'll be using the plucky XT derailleur with an 11-40T cassette as part of a 1x9 system.

PC290158.jpg
*SunRace SLR96; it does the job but I'd recommend Shimano / Microshift (or anything that has a friction mode) over this.
BTW the first hit when just googling "FSA Gossamer" was even more shocking as the 105 crank :oops:

But the version on your Daily looks indeed good.👍

Oh golly, they're awful! I think that's definitely worse than all the asymetric Shimano offerings! :LOL:

Some see left over bar wrap, I see remnants of a cracking wrap job 🤙

P2110200.jpg P2100192.jpg

Also, it's pretty much done! I am pretty stoked with how it's all come together.

I shall get some proper snaps in daylight (after I've taken it for a spin of course!)

DSC_0472-2.jpg

Spec:
Shogun Metro AT
4130 Templite Cro-mo

Wheels:
Giant PR-2. Another save from the bin. The braking surface is in very good condition but a little research reveals they're not at all popular with Giant (TCR?) owners so we'll see how they go. Tyres are Panaracer Gravelking 700x38. I've got some 40c knobbies arriving soon so these are place holders for the moment. The Shogun doesn't quite have the tyre clearance of the Marin so I'm sticking with a conservative 40c for the moment.

Braking:
Avid Shorty Ultimate w/ Swiss Stop pads
TRP RRL brake levers

Drive:
Shimano 105 FC-5800 w/40T Narrow-Wide chainring
11-40T cassette w/ Shimano HG53 chain
SunRace SLR96 Bar end shifter
Shimano Deore RD-M761 + Road Link
DMR V8 Classic Pedals

Finishing:
Quill > threadless adaptor, courtesy of the PRC
Cosine 90mm Stem
Salsa Cowchipper Flared Drop Bars 440mm w/ Shimano Pro cork-ribbon bar tape
Saddle: Fabric Scoop Shallow
Seatpost: BBB Skyscraper ⌀26.8 (very fortunate to have found this as it's a two bolt configuration that will suit my saddle bag support).

Thanks for reading!

Good to see Shogun getting some love here. Rubbish-tip rescue sportingTeal paint & quill-ahead adaptor, it could be my Tuff Trail's 700c cousin lol. These Templite frames are a thing of beauty IMO good on you for saving it, should ride lovely.

Back