Shogun 'Dad Bike' - gRaVeL cOnVeRsIoN

HourGlass

Dirt Disciple
As with a previous project of mine, I’d like to first acknowledge that this isn’t an MTB. However it’s not a road bike either. And given the general spirit and appreciation that accompanies anything 90’s, chromoly, and featuring two wheels, I thought it acceptable to share.

I present to you my latest find, a Shogun Metro AT, sourced from hard rubbish. If I've done my homework correctly on the serial number, I believe it to be a Sept. 1996 build, suggesting it was offered for 1997. (Happy to be corrected on this!)

PC260088.jpg

This dorky hybrid is a classic example of what was being turned out, en-mass, to the Dads of the world; 700c, cantilever brakes, utilitarian 3x7 gearing, single-wall alloy rims on serviceable Shimano hubs. I’m happy to report it looks well used with a healthy scattering of scratches and paint chips, so it probably has some stories to share. The one real bummer however is the absence of a seatpost (which I believe is 26.8mm).

PC260091.jpg

PC260092.jpg

PC260094.jpg

PC260096.jpg

PC260100.jpg

PC260103.jpg

PC260102.jpg

Before leaving the UK, I sadly gave away my Marin Stinson but it was a bike I really enjoyed assembling and riding. And given the esteem Shogun is held by bicycle nerds here in Australia, I thought this a mighty fine parts canvas to do something cool with.

PC280134.jpg

Thanks for readying and stay tuned for progress!

Last edited:
Frame stripped, rust converter applied to exposed metal and paint given a good polish. It came up a treat!

PC290153.jpg
PC290141.jpg

Let the re-assembly commence.

PC290142.jpg

I've made a few decisions about the direction this is going to go:
  • Whilst the frame will accomidate a wider tyre, I think I'll stick around 700x40c for tyre size, based purely on the terrain / riding around here.
  • This will definitiely feature dropbars with a set of old Salsa Cowchippers taking pride of place.
  • I want it to look more 'modern' than my old Marin - the silver spokes and wheels 'dated' the Marin build.
  • I'm leaning towards sticking with cantilevers on this bike as it gives me an excuse to re-instate a pair of Tektro RRL levers I had on my Genesis Day One commuter. Brakes will either be Shimano Deore DX MT-60, or Avid Shorty Ultimate. Also in the parts bin are a set of XT BR-M750 V-brakes + Tektro RL520 'Long Pull' Levers, but they might be overkill...
  • Gearing will be a wide range 1x9 via a bar end shifter.

It looks like the parts bin won't fully cover the build so I've sourced a suitable narrow-wide chainring, as well as a modern 'two bolt' seatpost that popped up on Marketplace.

Thanks for reading!

Progress report:

I've raided the parts bin and mocked up a pile of parts into bicycle-shaped object. It's looking sweet folks and I'm very keen to throw a leg over it!

The front brake took me a little while to sort as the brake cartridge+pad, even in the lowest possible setting, were contacting the tyre sidewall. It's been reported that cantilever geometry in more contemporary brake designs places the pad higher above the post than in earlier designs; I'm assuming that's the case here though the rear brake seems fine with the factory spacer configuration.

In the end I stuck with the Avids and enlarged the holes on a spare set of (narrower) spacers to allow them to fit cartidge post; this allowed me to drop them just that little bit lower for better contact with the rim (teaser below). I've tweaked the pad angle since taking this photo but otherwise they're done!

moon-001.jpg

Eagle-eyed viewers will note the little clear bit of tubing between the cable stop and the yoke; this is a 'sleeve' so that my bar bag doesn't interfere with my front brake (as set up below on my 'daily').

moon-001-2.jpg

Thanks for reading!

A key component has entered the chat: narrow-wide chainring.

Truth be told, I would have loved to have fitted a wide-range double but the parts bin was somewhat lacking in supporting components (namely, a shifter and appropriate rings), so this slightly battered FC-5800 crankset will have to do.
Also, I want this bike to look like what we accept as the industry tells us is a 'modern gravel bike', so 1x fits that brief.

This chainring features a 110BCD but as you'll see, also has Shimano's assymetric 4-bolt arrangement. This was a common pairing in the CX crowd running these cranks, at least before dedicated 1x cranks were a thing so I was happy to find a suitable chainring. The flat ring looks a little silly mounted on the thick body of the spider so longer term, I'm going to try and get my hands on the bolt covers made by Specialities TA to tidy this up some time down the track.

DSC_0394.jpg

Cheers!

I'm curious looking at this build, your Marin is great and the basis of this build looks very nice
I want this bike to look like what we accept as the industry tells us is a 'modern gravel bike'
Although this is an intresting theme, but why even using one of the - to me - ugliest cranks the industry told us to accept as nice? Sure a lot of modern Gravel bikes, especially the cheap ones do have ugly crank sets. Just this one ranks quite at the top.
Theme-wise, as said, this fits.

Latest posts

Back