Shogun 'Dad Bike' - gRaVeL cOnVeRsIoN

These Templite frames are a thing of beauty IMO good on you for saving it, should ride lovely.

Thanks! It rides very nicely indeed! Incredibly glad I stopped to take a closer look at the pile of hard rubbish on the side of the road!
My favourte feature is the wee chain peg on the seat stay; a small and long forgotten courtesy / detail on modern bikes.

What a transformation!

If anyone needs me I'll be on eBay looking for sorry looking 700c hybrids

Ha! Get on it! They're criminally underrated.

you hit the nail with this build - wished I would have kept my Trek Multitrack 720 - it would be a nice base for a similar conversation.

Little update: knobbies!

Tyres are Innova Pro Stampede in 700x40c, sourced from PRC on recommendation from a fellow tinker-er.

A few notes:
  • For a budget tyre, first impressions are very positive. Despite being quite tightly wrapped for shipment, they mounted up just find without strange bulges.
  • On these rims, measure exactly 40mm across.
  • Weight isn't fantastic at about 560g per end, but that's about the same as (OEM) WTB Nanos in 40c.
  • Non-directional tread pattern.

I've taken a few snaps in the event someone looking to re-tyre a Shogun Metro needs an idea of clearance. I'd say 43c would be the absolute limit (and even then, it would depend on the tyre and the rim width). 40c seems appropriate for this bike and rides fast / comfortable enough.

DSC_0657-Edit.jpg
DSC_0646.jpg DSC_0647.jpg DSC_0649.jpg DSC_0648.jpg
I'm really looking forward to strapping the bags on this and going on a longer journey.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Love this build! What a change (for the better) from how you first got the bike.
I've just picked up a Shogun Metro 1, so your info on tyre size will come in very useful ,,,👍🏻

Thanks for the love, guys!

Little 'behind the bars' snap from the weekend (added to the cockpit views thread, naturally).

Shogun-001.jpg
Love this build! What a change (for the better) from how you first got the bike.
I've just picked up a Shogun Metro 1, so your info on tyre size will come in very useful ,,,👍🏻
Amazing! Super keen to see what you put together. Savour the build process and enjoy the ride! 🤙

Back