SB9443 Team Owned Raleigh 753 Dyna-Tech Castorama

Re: Team Owned Raleigh 753 Dyna-Tech Castorama (Finished P7)

You raised the bar again maca, don't think I've seen anyone re anodise rims before. Fantastic looking bike again. Awesome attention to detail and no expense spared.

That is absolutely tremendous - as per the factory production line I'd suggest. Did I read it right that you had the rims re-anodised? Another eroica entry on the cards I take it

That has be up there for RBOTY - absolutely stunning.

Can I ask - how much was it to have the rims- re-anodised?

Thanks for all the very kind comments guys, I really appreciate them. This was my 1st build with what I believe to be a frame with history so wanted to get it as right as I could and my 1st build with Campagnolo so while I found it harder making sure every thing matched and was from the same set it was good fun.

Yes I did have the rims re-anodised, well hard anodised. Again learnt something new here as well in that most places that do anodising can't do proper hard anodising. I tried one place who said they could and when the rims came back they were a very light grey ... not right.
I then found a place called Acorn plating in Sandhurst. The guy there knew his stuff and they even do hard anodising for aerospace. He took one look and said they hadn't been hard anodised at all. They re-did them for me and I'm now very happy with them.

If you are going to do this thou, its important to have them striped 1st and then polished because any marks, chips or scores in the alloy will show threw the anodising. I did the polishing myself starting with 800 grit wet and dry going down to 2000 then metal polish.

Cost wise the Acorn have a min order value of £60, but because I'd had them done some where 1st that went wrong he only took £20 off of me. Usually for cash I think he said £40 - £50 for the two rims. But you can only do it to rims that have nothing else on them, so no eyelets and so on.

Re:

Cheers Maca for the info on anodising. Luckily Sandhurst is about 10miles from me. Sadly the rims I've got have eyelets but well worth knowing for future.

Re: Re:

Robster914":278mjgtz said:
Cheers Maca for the info on anodising. Luckily Sandhurst is about 10miles from me. Sadly the rims I've got have eyelets but well worth knowing for future.

I think its the striping of the old ano that would cause a problem for the eyelets rather than the actual anodising as things can be masked. might be worth checking with Acorn as it was the 1st place that told me all of this.

Couple of pictures taken outside

And one of it in its new home, well until I have the time and weather to use it lightly.

Back