Rocky Mountain Edge 1995 'shelf queen'

zonoskar

Retro Guru
I found a damaged Rocky Mountain Edge on ebay and with 30 minutes to go and no bids, I made an offer. So it's underway now and should be here next friday. Of course I glossed over the size and it's too small for me (should have been an 18"). But anyways, I always liked these and as the predecessor of my 1999 Element (Dutch), I think I'm building it as a shelf queen for now. Also, the headtube is cracked, so riding without doing something there is out of the question.

I think it's a 1995 model, since it comes with the air shock and alu rear end. The 1994 version had a spring damper and a steel rear. In 1996 the first Element was introduced, replacing the Edge. But I cannot find this yellow color in any catalog. Was it a limited color, or was it resprayed (Maybe for a particular team)?

p5pb26138464.jpg

p5pb26171418.jpg

p5pb26171417.jpg

p5pb26171415.jpg

Crack in headtube:
p5pb26171416.jpg

I'm thinking of having a stainless ring made that fits the head tube.

As for wheels, I have a set of Spinergy Rev-X that everyone is telling me not to trust to ride, so that's a perfect match for this frame.
p5pb26069538.jpg

p5pb26069537.jpg

I have 2 forks available. A Pace RC35 and an AMP F1. I think I'm going with the AMP, since the rear end of the Edge is also designed by AMP. Besides that, I also have to ressurrect my '96 Blizzard, so the Pace can go to that frame. The rest of the components will need to be sourced as well. I have a donor bike, but the only decent parts are the Spinergy wheels and a titanium Specialized stem.

Last edited:
I found a damaged Rocky Mountain Edge on ebay and with 30 minutes to go and no bids, I made an offer. So it's underway now and should be here next friday. Of course I glossed over the size and it's too small for me (should have been an 18"). But anyways, I always liked these and as the predecessor of my 1999 Element (Dutch), I think I'm building it as a shelf queen for now. Also, the headtube is cracked, so riding without doing something there is out of the question.

I think it's a 1995 model, since it comes with the air shock and alu rear end. The 1994 version had a spring damper and a steel rear. In 1996 the first Element was introduced, replacing the Edge. But I cannot find this yellow color in any catalog. Was it a limited color, or was it resprayed (Maybe for a particular team)?

p5pb26138464.jpg

p5pb26171418.jpg

p5pb26171417.jpg

p5pb26171415.jpg

Crack in headtube:
p5pb26171416.jpg

I'm thinking of having a stainless ring made that fits the head tube.

As for wheels, I have a set of Spinergy Rev-X that everyone is telling me not to trust to ride, so that's a perfect match for this frame.
p5pb26069538.jpg

p5pb26069537.jpg

I have 2 forks available. A Pace RC35 and an AMP F1. I think I'm going with the AMP, since the rear end of the Edge is also designed by AMP. Besides that, I also have to ressurrect my '96 Blizzard, so the Pace can go to that frame. The rest of the components will need to be sourced as well. I have a donor bike, but the only decent parts are the Spinergy wheels and a titanium Specialized stem.

:cool: very nice.

The colour is Yo Yellow, the same as they used on their other Team Only frames.

I remember seeing a yellow one at a shop in 1995 built with a red Judy DH and neon yellow Maguras. Very cool looking bike!

Why not?

Nice frame.
I was told they tend to crack at the pins near the spokes. But mine seem fine in that regard. I was also told that if they survived this long, it' a good set :) So I'm not going to refrain from riding these once or twice a year like I do with the other vintage bikes I have.

Interested to see this built.

Personally, I would go with a set of rock shox judy DH fork, would look great.
I know it has a Horst rear end, but the AMP fork could look too skinny on the front.
Just my thoughts, will look great with the spinergy though 👌😎

Yeah, I'll decide once the frame is here. I found a few The Edge builds online with AMP forks, but they were all the steel version of the frame.

Back