Rocky Mountain - Altitude 1991 - Up and running and changing still...

----
So 2022 and this hasn't been out for a while, just kept in the loft after a move and then came out to the shed a few months back so I could check it over.

I have a 'return it to something back in the day' thoughts...
And posting to remind myself.

It is not going to get a paint refurb, it is battered and brushed, still has touch up stay/dabs/stripsfrom some volvo red I use way back in early 9x.
Quality worming in the yellow that feel homely.
It's as a well used frame should be.

So I have some proper GripShift back, I rembwr mine loosing the 'sandpaper' and then getting XTR shifters, which then died withing a year and getting SRT500 which I then upgraded with metal spring. And they stayed on and work brilliantly through the many years.
I could do with the front being the Cx-dt option rather than the double only version I have now, but hey ho. You get what you can.

I have the Tubeless rims and tyres as used in the review for the 1991 bike (Wolber setup) and became and option for the later frame in 1992 iirc.

I never had Syncros forks on this, it came to me with MAG20s (it is an/the ex demo bike the UK team used and the MAG20 snapped at the crown so I had to replace them in 93/94 :) )
If not mentioned before, I got it off a chap at 'Eurocyles' an importer near Snaith that brought part in from Germany.
(aka a rodie, who went with his dad on trips bringing in Shimano parts to resell a lot cheaper than from the shops and stored it all in his garage) he happened to get this frame from the UK team... But didn't build it up and I had my insurance money to spend after my bike had just been stolen and I'd seen it laid there a few times...) 😂

Anyway, probably stay with these black forks on it as they're nicer than the Syncros (that and I'd loose my wheel truing stand and I'd need a new steerer, my Syncros are Evolution size anyway)
Or I really like the MAG21 SL look.

Just can't see what groupset to put on it... XT or XTR or something else, almost certainly a mix of parts as is my way.
Who knows.

We'll see.

Good to have a reminder to read through this hread again. I'm definitely in favour of keeping the original paint.

I don't remember ever seeing it with those rigid forks before ... they look really nice. Then again, I am always a fan of rigids.

FWIW, I'd probably build it with XT, but you have so many nice components around that it would make sense to build it with what's available. Did you build it with the Hugis at some point or were they on another bike? I'd love to try it, once it's built up again 😁

Hugi have been on for some of the time just because in red they look really nice, even if far to late for the bike.
They replaced the Hope Mono hubs after I drove the bike into the carpark height barrier destroying the front wheel, near Fruit Market, and then later after it was stolen I didn't get the wheels back. So the Hugi fitted nicely.
(they're in the picture, a page back, with the rigid forks fitted.)

Also nice for me to re-read this thread from when I first joined the site, way back ages ago.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back