Road Frames c.1975-85.. Un-vague us!

Re:

I do remember having some 27" barum clincher tyres. That would have been around 78-79. I remember puncturing on a ctc ride and the sidewalls were that stiff, the tyres didnt run flat on the tread, the walls folded so that the sidewall was in contact with the road. I never bought any more, but they would have been cheap, I was skint and everything was on a budget

Re:

Riders from the Eastern Bloc riding the Ras Tailteann here in Ireland in the 80s always came with dozens of Barums to flog on before they went back, they would tell the bosses back home they just had a lot of punctures! :D

I used Barums - and Kowalit - tubs BITD. The prices were at a level I could afford and the performance was OK. In fact the first time I beat the hour I was riding my training wheels (it was a very wet evening!) which were clad with Barums. There were also some Japanese tubs by Soyo that were very light (6oz?) and very competitively priced - especially when compared to the equivalent weight Clements!

Here's a couple of ads for period tubs. Revel in the prices.................. :shock:

Attachments

• Kowalit TubularsApril62.A.jpg
    Kowalit TubularsApril62.A.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 432
  • VittoriaAdApril64.B.jpg
    VittoriaAdApril64.B.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 432
Re: Re:

Rapparee87":2l5qnmju said:
Riders from the Eastern Bloc riding the Ras Tailteann here in Ireland in the 80s always came with dozens of Barums to flog on before they went back, they would tell the bosses back home they just had a lot of punctures! :D
Oh yeh, I remember same in milk race and sealink international. I knew a few lads who rode them and told us the same.

The eastern block riders also used to go on walkabouts, guess it was their chance to see the outside world. If they were late in after curfew time, the initial thoughts were that they had defected and all their staff would be running around, making calls and panicking

Nice one up for grabs here at a price though

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back