Road Frames c.1975-85.. Un-vague us!

Re:

I remember an Ijsboerke(sic.. :? ) Colnago team from the late '70s- yellow and green jerseys iirc. Maybe they were on different bikes the year before/after?
When you say: "one set of bosses" you are talking about bottle cage bosses, yes? not gear lever bosses...? Your frame would seem to fit in pretty well with the timeline. I assume there are no brazed on brake cable tunnels on the top tube, (or other later-in-the-timeline braze ons.)
You didn't say whether your frame has long, or short dropouts, which, (to the best of my knowledge) could be the clincher in dating it as being a new season's frame either one side or the other of 1977(ish.)

Thanks.. this is the kind of input that un-vagues us! If we can find a year in which both the old and the new are in evidence, it is a fair bet that we have found a usable 'not before' year. Maybe '1978' is that year for allen key brakes?

Re:

Sorry,brazed on cable guides above bb shell/one set of bottle bosses/i think long campag dropouts,team followed on from brooklyn/Gios so assume it was a spare carried over as both teams used blue Gios's and assume non Allen key brakes from spares used on spare/training bikes whilst Allen key brakes used on top bikes,iam struggling to find images for teams bikes,all images I have for the '77 team Brooklyn Gios's seem to be nutted brakes

Re:

I've had a look through the following French books: le Tour de France et les Alpes, and La Grande Histoire Du Tour De France plus a few late 60s & early 70s copies of International Cycle Sport. I have a huge collection of images in numerous publications but limited this search to the years up to 1980s...the 1980s and early 1990s are comprehensively covered in my collection of Winning and the TdeF editions, featuring the work of photographers Phil O'Connor and Graham Watson - and numerous books that also feature their work.

I was looking in the main for bidons and rear brake cables - first bidons:

Pre WW2, exclusively 2 x bidons in cage on the handlebar
Early post WW2, ditto
1950, start to see one bidon on handlebar, 1 x bidon on downtube (band on)
1960 or thereabouts the handlebar bidon disappears with just a downtube bidon (band on)
1969 Merckx appears in the TdeF with twin bidons (braze on), although majority are still using one band on bidon
1975 twin bidons (braze on) more commonplace from this date.

Brake cables:

Late 1970s still see band on rear cable on TdeF bikes
Late 1970s first aero cables on Lucien Van Impes TdeF bike.

Interesting point for the anoraks (me), Fignon's 1989 TdeF bike using Simplex Retrofriction gearlevers.

Jon.

Reactions: Woz
Re:

That it was rare for him/mechanic not to attempt a partial cover up of simplex levers when {assuming}he/team were contracted to ride Campag

Re:

You say this was mythical, I don't see it. I've just browsed through a whole bunch of images of Fignon in the 1989 TdeF and there are more images with the Simplex levers in full view than there are of levers with covers on.

Jon.

Back